1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss LMB-3 Users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dvh, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I was looking for some form of pedal compression and after reading various reviews including a search on TB I settled on the purchase of a Boss LMB-3 limiter.

I haven't been able to experiment with it a lot but what I have noticed is this: When dialed in at the manual's recommendations for finger style I find the slap tones are almost completely deadened. When dialed in with the recommended slap tone settings I find the finger style tones are not limited enough (I know this is pedal a limiter and not a true compressor).

Problem is much of what I play is a mix of both styles within the same song. Often it's just a quick pop and slap so there's no time to stomp on the pedal and deal with it that way.

Any one else have this experience or can otherwise provide some insight?

P.S. I leave the enhance knob turned off.

Thanks!

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I used to have this compressor - very nice for the price. However since I started using an active bass, I could hear a pop artifact when the compression was kicking in.

With my passive bass I bought the LMB-3 for, my settings were Volume at 12 o'clock, Enhance Off, Ratio around 11 o'clock and threshold at 13 o'clock.

best way to find the settings - play a lot with it! :)

hope that helps

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Compromise. Find a setting that's half way between your slap setting and your fingerstyle. The only other option (actually the best way) is to develop a more controlled slap technique, so the spikes are no bigger than the ones from a strong fingerstyle pluck.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I have it, my settings with a MM Sr4 are:

level: 12
    enhance: off
    ratio: 12
    thresold: 12

5. Levin S

Levin S

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    +1

I have the same bass, same pedal, same settings!!

6. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to work on adjusting my attack for the finger vs. slap. I like a light finger style touch and don't dig in hard so it could be a challenge to match the slap technique to that.