Boss LS-2 Alternatives

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Oct 24, 2016.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Not that I have a problem with the LS-2. It does what it does and is effective. I'm just curious as to what other utility pedals of this type are out there in the market, and what you all use to split and re-route your signal as it passes through your chain.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    As far as pedals with all the same features as the LS-2, it doesn't actually have much competition. There are other pedals that do some things but few if any that do it all, especially with the same size and price.

The only improvements I could see for the LS-2 are a phase inversion switch and putting the send/return jacks of the loops on the opposite sides (sends on the Input side, returns on the Output side)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    ^ and midi controlled ;)

TheDrumGuy and LSMFT6 like this.
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I asked the same question a few months ago and learned about Saturnworks, X Blenders and Wounded Paws. I ended up getting a Saturnworks true bypass looper. I also have a Boss LS2 and using these 2 units gives me a nice and simple dry/wet signal.

The LS 2 is a darn good pedal, but there are options out there.

:)

SunnBass likes this.
  5. noermaen

noermaen Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Cog Effects makes some awesome custom pedals, and he has several Line Selectors Types in the Custom Lineup, for example the "Rogue Leader" Custom Line Selector (scroll down on the page to see it). They are true bypass and have a phase switch. Those are the 2 features i miss on the LS-2 from Boss

Rogue_leader.png

ThrewSilver and Bassmike62 like this.
  6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I'm using a Dwarfcraft Paralooper, 2 channels of pre amped parallel loops, small footprint. I also use Exotic and Wounded Paw. All of these sound better than the Boss, (when I a/b'd them with LS-2 the difference was obvious) The Paralooper does not have a polarity switch so I test that with one of the others. Everything I use seems to not reverse polarity or something about the Paralooper fixes that. The Paralooper is set at 50/50%, one volume control, but that's never an issue.

7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    The LS-2 rocks. End of the story.
    /thread.

8. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Badger Schism ... Best pedal I ever owned! It will never leave my board!

9. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Never tried one, but the Tym "Big Bottom" sounds cool. Switchable looper with a clean blend just for the lows.

0c5272e6234f4446d316edd50e350506f498a489_1024x1024.jpg

Bassmike62 likes this.
  10. Bassmike62

Just browsed through the website.... completely insane !!
    Wonder how much does the Rogue go for ?

noermaen likes this.
  11. Are the outputs on LS-2 isolated so it prevents a ground loop from forming if connected to two amps? Simple ABY boxes lack that, not sure about LS-2.

12. Bassmike62

Hmmm.... no mention in the manual.
    I'm not sufficiently techniky-savvy to answer but hopefully someone will, I'll be hooking up to 2 amps in a couple of weeks...

13. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Inactive

Apr 11, 2017
    Bumping this up. I'm a big LS-2 fan but that Cog Effects offering is better still. Basically I want A or B, A+B (where B is dry signal), bypass of the unit and the phase switch. Any stateside builders doing something like this?

14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Since this thread got bumped, I might as well say that I ended up buying the Xotic X-Blender. I use it as both a preamp and an effects loop w/clean blend simultaneously.

Why not just get the COG? Seems like it has exactly what you're looking for.

15. In a similar vein, Iron Ether's Divaricator is pretty-durned cool.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    So how is A, B or A + B not a mode on this pedal??

17. I guess because of the gain staging. If you set the gain of A and B individually to unity, then when switching to A+B you'll get a huge volume bump.

StrangerDanger and crguti like this.
  18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    There are pedals that do that, though?

I am new to the loop switcher business but not new to pedals.

19. I believe that the Boss ES-5 and ES-8 can do that. They are much more expensive than the LS-2, though. I don't know if any of the One Control products can do something like that, but they have an extensive catalogue regarding switching systems and it's probably worth checking.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thank you!