boss ls-2 giddyness

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Aug 4, 2013.

1. alright, got a boss ls-2 on order, should be in sometime mid week. my plan is to use it to blend clean and dirty signals so my bass doesn't get too muddy and lost in the mix.

so in all my geeky pedal excitement, i was wondering who had one, what od/dist/fuzz you use and how do you set your dirt/clean ratios?

p.s.:i tried to search on this, but just came up with every single boss pedal anyone has ever talked about.:meh:

2. ok, guess i'm alone on this one! i had a hard time tracking one down, new or used. had to have it ordered.

3. yaksonator

yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Carthage, MO
    I had one for a long time, switched it out for something that suited my needs better. I used it with a grey stache, agro, tons of others.. I almost always used it with 1 dirt in each chn. Kind of like muse bass player does. For the clean/dirty blend thing I used fuzz and distortion, but I wasn't very fond of that too much. I like all or nothing..

4. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    I've been thinking about getting one, due to the dist always being overwhelming and stealing away the low end. I'll try it together with an MXR M80, an Boss OD as well as a EHX Big Muff.

5. i am an all or nothing kind of guy usually myself, but recently i've just noticed getting totally lost in the kick drum and drop tuned guitar of my new band. the boss was just the cheapest solution i could find while still having a level/blend. (going through a divorce, so budge is a major issue!)

thanks mogalen! let me know if you get one and how it turns out. i think the mxr m80 has a blend knob, unless you were going to try some other interesting routing options. iirc, it has been a while since i owned one!

6. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I use one with my three dirt pedals in one loop. A overdrive, distortion, and a fuzz. My levels are: dirt pedals raging, and the dirty side of ls-2 about 9:00, and the clean side just below 9:00.

7. cool! what dirt pedals do you have?

8. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have one and love that pedal. I primarily used it to switch between two basses at gigs, however I have used it like the OP, running two separate effects loops. I also have run my Ric's pickups into each channel using a Y cord then run some effects on the neck pickup or some on the bridge pickup. Its a really useful pedal to have.

9. i knew it was a versatile pedal, but i never considered that route! cool jgroh!

10. I use a blender by wounded paw instead of a ls2. I use 1 channel for clean octave down with an mxr BOD and dirty synths sounds an octave or 2 up in the other channel. Just makes everything fatter than the standard clean blend.

11. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I run everything into the input and have a Zoom B3 in loop A and a delay on the output. I mostly just use it to switch the B3 in and out. I run loop A at noon and B at around 10ish to blend in some cleans(barely ever) or fuzz with the B3.

12. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    You 'n me, hoss. :D

I love my LS-2. It's great for using really dirty, low-end sucking guitar pedals with bass. I use a vintage RAT in one loop (completely opened up) for grind, and a Russian Big Muff in the other loop for fuzzy low end. It's a dream. I have to tweak the ratios by ear but it's pretty easy to dial the tone I like.

It's also cool for mixing synth tones with dirt or simulating biamp rigs. Current plan is to run an LS-2 with one line going through standard drive and dirt pedals, with the other running bass through the external in of a Korg MS20 (and dirt. Whee). This should be good.

13. awesome! i want a rat in a really bad way, but it will have to wait for now.

14. These are really useful pedals for the price, which is why a lot of people use them. I just bought a second one so that I could stop switching between my main board and my dubstep board I am working on.

I have my own home made mixer so primarily use it to switch between channels mid song. The reason I like it so much for this is the size of the actual foot switch; it is so much easier to aim for than a standard 3DPDT switch found on most pedals.

What would make this pedal amazing is to add a low and high pass filter to each of the send channels, respectively. That way the low could be kept clean (however, probably requiring a patch cable) and the highs could be distorted. This is what I presently do with my FEA dual band compressor/limiter and it works amazingly well. If I ever work out such a mod I will post it here.

Best of luck and enjoy.

15. that would be killer. hope you get that one figured out, dazonbass!

16. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
  17. i use mine on a guitar pedalboard to stack/blend 2 flavors of dirt. a Wampler Triple Wreck which has more bottom end & a Bogner Uberscall Black pedal which has more midrange & highs.

i'm aiming for something along the lines of what Adam Jones (Tool) does with multiple amps running at one time & am happy with the result.

18. I didn't notice from this thread, that anyone would have mentioned a thing that i love in LS-2 and mostly use it because of that. It takes a huge amount of noise off from your pedals. Just jammed ''Starlight'' from Muse with a really bad amp. Nearly no noise, even though i used Big Muff, Darkglass B3K, Digitech bass driver and octaver. The chains were: 1: B3K > Muff > Return; And 2: Muff (not on) > Bass driver > Octaver > Return. Great tone, no noise.

19. doubleohnodj

doubleohnodj

Mar 25, 2013
    Thinking about getting one of these and putting my octave and fuzz in one loop and my synth pedals in the other. I wish there was an A->B option as well. Only downside right now is having to bend over to switch between A, B and A+B, but that's not the end of the word. I would go with the Schism but my board real estate really is too tight right now!

20. Unless I am miss understanding you, you can switch between channel A and B, or even go A -> B -> clean. This is presently the main reason I use the pedal.

However, I can't help with the bending :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021