Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS LS-2 line selector question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 9, 2002.

1. (I know it's not an effect but I son't know where to post this question)

Is there a mode on the Line Selector from BOSS so you can switch between loop A, to loop B, to a bypass-mode.

I'm considering buying one if I get a multi-fx pedal: so my distortion effects in one loop, the multi in the other, but I also want to switch to an uneffected sound.

Or can you only go from loop A to loop B ?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There are several modes, one is the A or B you mention.

There is also one mode called A->B->Bypass that cycles between three routings:

- Input -> Send A -> Return A -> Output
    - Input -> Send B -> Return B -> Output
    - Input -> Output

So basically if you connect your bass to Input, your Amp to Output, and two separate effects chains between Send A/Return A and Send B/Return B you will get the switching you want.

I don't think it's a true bypass, but I can on the other hand not detect any noticable deterioration of the signal.

3. Thanks Anders Östberg.

This is what I needed to know.

4. That's what I use my Boss LS-2 for.
    I use my Fulltone Bass Drive on "B" and my BP-8 on "A". Works great.

Also good for blending clean signal with effected signal by setting it to "A+B" and only having an effect on one loop. The empty loop automatically feeds a dry signal to mix.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The LS-2 is one amazingly versatile stomp box. It's a 2-channel line mixer if you want to, and has several line switching modes. Apart from the obvious uses as a line selector it's also a very handy little problem solver to have around in your music room or studio.

6. Thought I'd post here rather than start a new LS-2 thread, save some space.

Does the Boss have a facility to blend 2 signals (from different sources, rather than 1 dry, 1 wet) into one output signal? (Like a 2-channel mixer)

If it does this (I'm pretty sure it does but thought I'd check), does it then allow you to footswitch between:

a. Inputs 1 + 2 blended
    b. Input 1 full on

This would be unbelievably helpful (I am thinking of wiring my bass stereo, fuzzing the back pickup and keeping the neck pickup clean) and it would be nice to be able to switch off the fuzz.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes and yes.
    This is a magic little box.

8. Yes, it does all of that.

Wanna buy mine?

Boss LS-2. New in the box. Used twice. $75 shipped in the US.

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  10. Thanks for clearing that up guys - I'm going to find it very hard not to buy an LS-2 now!

Donne - thanks for the offer but I'm in the UK (plus I am fair skint at the moment).

Tecx - The Yamaha looks okay (I like the price!), but it doesn't perform the required functions for me. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    <BR>
    I have an LS-2, and generally love it. <BR><BR>However...
    <BR>
    The A+B mix mode should, according to the manual, do as follows:<BR><BR><B>
    1. Input Signal -> Send A -> whatever -> Return A.
    2. Return A signal -> Send B -> whatever -> Return B.
    3. Return B signal -> output
    </B><BR>
    When I do this, I seem to get a parallel rather than serial result. <BR>i.e. it sounds like I get a combination of (signal -> A) and (signal -> B) rather than (signal -> A -> B -> out).
    <BR>I tried this out with an overdrive in A, and a wah in B. Normally, od then wah produces a very nice sound crunchy sound which I like a lot. When I engaged the A+B mix I could hear the od and wah effects operating separately and the resultant sound was nowhere near what I was expecting. <BR>Anyone else?

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    <BR>
    OK, now I've reread the manual for the umpteenth time I realise I'm the donkey here.<BR>
    It's meant to give a parallel effect output, it's my fault although I could have sworn blind it said somewhere it was a serial output. <BR>
    Since I'm not that bothered about adjusting the outputs at the loop level, I guess I need to either live with it or get a switchbox (pedalboard.com) or loooper. :confused: <BR><BR>Anyone want to buy a LS-2, one month old???<BR>