1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME 50 B demos

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steve alcock, May 31, 2007.

1. I`ve been looking at the Boss ME 50B over the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone out there could give me their opinions on it .... every shop i`ve been into to try one out has either sold out or dont stock it.
    i really wanna try one b4 i buy one but cant get near one without travelling miles.
    does anyone have any demo sounds i could listen to that could give me some idea.
    also the sound on sound recording sounds pretty good ..... any info on that would be great.

thanks for looking steve

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I own one (I replaced it with other stuff though, so I don't use it anymore), but I don't really have samples of it, and there are too many features for me to be willing to record some...

I never used the recording feature, it wasn't long enough for me to do anything with it. It has some decent sounds in there, but I bought it as an intro to effects, so I could get used to what different effects were and how to manipulate them

3. Hi Sir Ed

When you say about the recording feature not being long enough........how long is not long enough roughly ?

4. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    hmmm I don't remember, I just remember not finding it useful...

::plugs in his ME-50B::

its like 2.5 seconds

5. Not worth recording owt with that sort of time lapse.
    any real good points worth knowing ?

6. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I was all ready to buy one awhile back but I came across a great deal on another bass that I couldn't pass up. I'm still planning on buying one in the future.

My take on the unit is:

Very well made. Great sounding effects. Very quiet. Easy to use. I am particularly fussy about compression and overdrive for bass and I was really pleased with the ME 50 in this area.

Compressor was really great and could be tailored in a number of ways that made sense for bass.

I'm not really an overdrive kind of guy but they had some options that were pretty cool and quite practical I thought.

JKT:bassist:

7. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I honestly don't like it very much anymore, the only distortion I like anymore is the Big Muff Pi emulation, but I have a LBM now and it sounds better. Octaver sucks, autowah sucks, chorus is decent, wah sucks, reverb is pretty good, EQ is alright, compressor is pretty good, i dont like the phaser or flanger, but I dont like those anyways, I never use delay, but i suppose its alright, he pitch shifting has a slight delay in its reaction, so its kinda gay, sound hold is pretty cool if you find a way to use it, slow gear is alright, and I never used the tone controls.

all of this is of course my opinion, but I have been using it for about 2 and a half years

8. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    with all due respect ... my favorite aspects of the unit are the compressor, octaver (down), and the phaser/flanger; I think they're just great just another opinion ...

on an aside, the pitch shifting is not "gay." if you would prefer a word like "ineffective" or "unusable," use it, and we will not only understand better, but we will avoid discriminatory language.

9. As far as cheap useable sounds that dont suck your unaffected tones guts out IMHP the ME50B is the best VALUE for money multi effect there is i use it very regularly on gigs with a rock band the Big Muff sound is great although the Bass Driver is not that good. The kick drum function coupled with the delay that syncs up with the kick is an excellent idea and i use it for duo gigs to beef up the groove. Its cheap and it works.

10. The kick drum effect.............what exactly is it and how does it work ?
    Is it a built in drum machine ?

11. I got an ME 50B 'cause I wanted effects, but I didn't know what I wanted.

Imo, it gives you an affordable product to allow exploration into effects. The sound quality is great through it; it cleans up the signal from my bass a lot. Everything on it, however, is a bit lacking. I was going for a certain over driven tone the other day and I just couldn't find it. The overdrives are all a bit... "fake" sounding... They certainly don't sound anything like proper tube overdrive (or even a proper pedal).

The other MAJOR problem with it is the patches are more or less useless. When you go into memory mode, switching between setups results in the sound cutting out for about half a second. This makes it fairly limited with what you can do with it since it means you can't flash between EQ and effects settings as easily as you could without the pause.

The best thing about this unit, however, is just the amount of weird noises you can make with it. Like, I had this for a while ago (http://www.williams1.homechoice.co.uk/Conpraction.mp3), and that's a sound I love messing around with at home when extremely bored (really, multieffects are a man's best friend on lonely nights). I mean, that was slow gear, distortion (don't remember which one), delay+chorus and octave down ^^;;

One other problem is that it's pretty heavy... I kinda wish I was lugging 2-3 stomp boxes to rehersals rather than this beast... Oh well.

12. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    kick drum - lets you set a tempo for a kick drum beat - kind of a pseudo metronome.

I just sold mine yesterday and switched to a Line6 Bass Pod XT Live,.largely due to the cab modelling for the DI I plug into with the praise band and it seems like I'll be able to do a lot more tweaking with it.

The ME-50B, as someone else said, was a great intro to effects pedal, imho. The analog knobs were pretty easy to tweak settings on the fly. I really liked the enhancer setting, as it just clicked really well through the direct box at the church where I play with a praise band. The compressor was one of the best parts of the unit as well, and the variety of settings came in handy. The flanger was ok - I occasionally used a very slow rate with minimal feedback for a leslie-like effect. The overdrive, particularly the muff fuzz setting was pretty nice, though imho the synth emulation was pretty poor and not very usable in my situations (praise band, jazz combo, and old school metal and prog metal) imho. The chorus was decent, but not as "rich" as I'd have liked. The slow gear was also a decent effect in the few situations where I could use it, though my music tech students always got a kick out of it when I'd demo it. I never used the delays so I honestly can't say much about those. It was built like a tank though. One word of warning - the boss power brick is not built well at all, so you may want to invest in a spare in case it flakes out on you. The unit does take 6 AA batteries, but in my experience you'd be lucky to get through a gig on the batteries.

Hope this helps you.

13. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    pfft, you don't have to respect me!

But as I said, I agree that the compressors good and though I used the octave down a lot, try playing back just the lower octave sometime, the tone of it is pretty horrible. With the normal octave it covers that up, but still, I don't like having to cover up for things.

Oh yeah forgot to say that its good for the price. Though I hate the thing now and refuse to use it anymore, it was a GREAT introduction into effects. I bought this when I was playing for 6 months, so I had no idea how any of this **** worked, I just wanted some cool new sounds. (new to me anyways)

I never used the patches because I ran into a problem. I don't know if it was a fluke or something, but when I tried saving something I remember the saved version sounding MUCH different than how it sounded beforehand. So I just wrote the patches off as a poor feature. It could have been a mistake on my part, but I would prefer to blame the pedal :)

But it sounds like most people are saying similar things to what I said, just in less colorful words, lol. I suppose explanations of my feelings would have been better too... oh well!

14. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    This is just my opinion of the pedal, so i hope it helps.

I've owned one for quite a while, just over a year and a half now. I bought it when the tone from my Behringer BX1200 sucked, and needed somethin more.

Some of the effects are kind of bogus or chezy. I will work from left to right.

First, the t.wah effects. Up, i find, is fairly cool. Adds a really good amount of funk to a slap sound. down is just really disorienting pitch-wise. edge is hard to follow, and the settins are somewhat hard to obtain. The octave filters work exactly as you think they would, alhtough can only track single notes, not double-stops or chords. A nifty thing, though, is when using octave up with distortion, it keeps the normal signal clean and blends it with the octaved distorted signal. Slow gear is nifty, giving an upright-style grow to your tone. defretter and enhancer dont have much effect to me, and i never use them. Supposidly, defretter gives a "mwah" but i dont hear it as that. Bottom boost, mid shape, and hollow are just easy to use eq settings. Im a fan of using the mid shape as an easy way to change tones midset.

Next, distortions. First, a note on the knobs. You have a Drive, a Tone, and a D.Level. Drive is basically the gain of the distortion (higher = greater distortion levels), and tone goes from a warm sound all the way left to a super nasty/crunchy/gritty tone to the right. D.Level is a blend knob The Natural setting, id assume, is ment to emulate an overdriven all-tube amp. It adds a nice growly grit under your normal tone. Very usable, especially for chords. Bass Driver is supposed to be a model of the Sansamp products, and sounds very similar to the Natural setting. Overdrive is the first of the nasty distortions, with a super-hi-gain all tube amp type sound. Next, the "Distortion" setting, is similar to the Overdrive, yet sounds a little more hollow. The Muff Fuzz is a direct replica of the Big Muff, and from what ive heard, a decent copy at that. This is a very usable sound, especially for solo's, that gets soooo nice when combined with the Wah or Resonance on the expression pedal. Metal, which is my personal favorite, adds a great smooth distortion, great for palm muting in a metal band situation. hi-band drive is a similar sound patch, only distorting the high end of your signal. The synth's cannot be explained (or at least not by me) so you will just have to try those on your own.

Next, the Delay/Modulation effects. These are all really straight forward. I ahve never had a use for the delay's, ever, so i dont use those much. The Phaser and Flanger are very nice sounding, i think, and i have used those in a band situation (combined with wah and Metal distortion). The chorus' and reverbs also sound supreme.

Next, the Expression Pedal. Probobly the most useful feature of this is the volume pedal mode. I used it constantly with my Jazz Choir, so i could easily switch to silent mode and keep practicing while they punched notes. The wah is fairly un-useful, as it covers to wide of a range. The resonance, though, interacts well with all of the Drive/Synth patches, and can create some fun or vintage tones. The +/- octaves are fun to for fall offs and HUGE bends. Sound hold is cool for droning over/under your own solo, and kick drum basically acts like a foot-controlled metronome. After turning it on, push the pedal forward once and you get a kick sound. Do it a few times with an even beat, it keeps repeating. The sounds, though, are hard to control the level on, and usually end up louder then the bass.

The last feature is the Compressor and Master EQ, both of which work exactly as they should.

Overall, i love this thing. I dont use many of the effects on a daily basis, but, as i am recording more solo stuff, i have begun to experiment with them more.

If you want to hear recordings, send me a link for somewhere to host them, and ill try to make some up.

15. Wow......Thanks all and everyone
    It does sound like a decent investment so i will probably get one very soon.
    I`ll see how i get on with it and post some opinions .
    If anyone else has anymore info then please share.

thanks again

16. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I've ranted about the ME-50b elsewhere in TalkBass. Do a 'search' and you'll find loads of stuff.

Unlike other multi-effect units, the ME-50b is simple to use. There are no menus to struggle through. While the unit is digital, the user interface are familiar knobs.

What I don;t like about it is that in it's analog to digital to analog (ADA) signal path something gets lost :( . I prefer my analog pedals.

That said, the more pedals I need for a gig, the more sense it makes to use the ME-50b. I can live with the ADA shortcomings for the "all in one" convenience. The memory is really useful. It's nice to have settings that involve many of the ME-50b's effects into one patch voice and be able to save it. Finally, you can use the multi-effects together in synergistic ways. Example, you can use the Octavider and distortion in such a way that your bass signal is clean but the octaivded signal an octave higher is distorted.

17. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I love this thing: get it. It's like the big appetizer plate at Chili's...an appetizer of all the appetizers. It represents most effects quite well, although each one is somewhat limited. My ME-50B was my first effects unit ever, and it's what got me into effects.

18. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    +1 to pretty much everything that's been said.

it really is a great intro unit to get your feet wet. and if you decide that you're not so into effects, you can still use it as a tuner, eq, mute, compressor..you know, the basic stuff.

the looper thing really hooked me into looping even though it was like 4 seconds long or something. i'd play two chords and that's it. haha!

again, you cant expect it to be a great pedal but more of a slice of everything. some of which are bigger slices than the others, meaning some are good, some are mediocre and some are pretty bad.

19. RippinKitten

RippinKitten

Feb 15, 2009
    Atlanta
    I bought it knowing that I would outgrow it, but if all you did was use it for the compressor ($100), EQ ($100), and the Tuner ($100), then it still pays for itself. The effects still have a lot of practical use, especially if you just want a HINT of effects. They aren't super high-quality, but if you just use a taste and couple it with a great natural bass sound, it's all glory.

20. jmiller

jmiller

Dec 31, 2006
    Manager at Bass Club Chicago
    i dont have the patience to read all of the above reviews. ill just give you mine. i was listening to "the philedelphia experiment" and loved christian mcbrides effects/tone. his tone is amazing on that album. i went to his website and saw that he uses the me-50b. so i bought one. its worked well for me. i never really use distortion. the synth sounds are mediocre at best but everything else is pretty good. the comp. adds alot. ive found that the tap delay works well for me. i find myself using the fretless setting as well. it good to use as a volume pedal too. it truely depends on what youre using it for. i use it alot in a hip hop group i play with. in your basic rock/indie band you may not find it as useful.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021