1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME-50 Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    so I was playing around with my Boss ME-50 the other night (yes the guitar version, not the bass version) and I found a sound that I really liked on it, sort of like a "Geddy Lee" tone.

all I was really using was the "natural" variation overdrive at a low setting with a lot of bottom. Then I ran through my sansamp para driver to warm it up.

I was wondering if I could find this effect or type of "natural" overdrive in a separate pedal, or perhaps a pedal a little more bass friendly. The Boss manual does not say what the overdrive is modeled after.

here is a video of the tone, and the overdrive by itself:
    http://youtu.be/cvV2Pr1wVrA

If anybody knows a pedal that will do the same, point me in the right direction. Its got to keep the bottom end, though. with most distortions, the lows seem to be left out. This just happened to have a knob that helped with that.

thanks

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome sound clip.

3. zokiux5

zokiux5

Apr 7, 2012
    Lithuania
    Sounds awesome !

4. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    yes, but...is there an alternate overdrive pedal I can use to make this sound?

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You could try the boss sd-1 super overdrive pedal. from what I understand is true, the bass player from children of bodom uses a boss sd-1 super overdrive pedal along with a tech 21 sansamp bass driver(or a paradriver) to get a pretty killer sound. here's a bass track from one of the songs from children of bodom.

6. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Thats way too much overdrive for me. I prefer a light overdrive with lots of midrange

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You could try the od-3, odb-3, or if you're able to find one the od-20. if you don't mind multi-effects processors, the boss me-20b has and overdrive like the clip you've posted, only it more warmer sounding. if you want another choice for a multi-effects processor, the deltalab dbfx1 can possibly create a sound like that. I've owned one for a while and it sounded pretty cool. I've recorded sound samples of the deltalab dbfx1 on my soundclick website. here's the link if you wanna check it out.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

Feel free to check it out. if any of these don't work out, you might as well purchase an overdrive pedal with a mix control like the voodoo lab sparkle drive or the Ibanez bass tube-screamer. or better yet, the darkglass electronics microtube b3k bass overdrive pedal. here's a youtube clip of the pedal.

8. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Is this a joke? It tells you right there next to the word "natural" that it's based on the Boss OD-1 overdrive pedal.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Are you talking about the natural overdrive on the boss me-50b? if you are, is it really modeled after a boss od-1?

10. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    its not based on the OD-1. its a completely different overdrive.

11. I actually like your clip's tone a lot better.

Def has some Geddy flavor to it.:)

12. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Thanks man! This was actually DI, I don't really know what it sounds like though my amp....yet. I record DI a lot so it can wait until later. I'll have to try it out when the old folks are not home.

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It says OD-1 right there.

Attached Files:

14. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    *facepalm* the variation tones are separate from the modeled pedal tones. even if it was based off of the od-1, I still wouldnt be able to get the same overdrive out of an od-1 pedal.

15. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Actually, that Darkglass sounds pretty good by itself too

16. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Maybe look for a boutique OD-1 clone with extra knobs.

17. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    What does it sound like without the para drive? You may want to try a red ripper or a VT both have a lot of mid control.

18. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    half way though the video clip I turn the para driver off.

19. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The Oxford can certainly come close to the Geddy tone specially now when his tone contains the AD200.
    As Geddy is using both RBI/ RPM and the Orange head maybe a Paradriver with the Oxford will get you close.
    Also the Oxford have plenty of mids and lots of gain. The only minus is that it lacks these hairy soft lows of the VT bass. The Oxford is more aggressive then the VT bass and can as said hold totally fine by it's own.