Boss ME-50 owners; do I need a separate compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RavCat, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I've got a Boss ME-50B, which pretty much lets me do everything I want (within reason!). However there's one area I'm lacking: I'm after a killer slap tone (something like the tone Flea uses on Aeroplane).

It seems to me the compressor on the Boss doesn't really add anything significant (and others on this board seem to be dubious of it's worth). However, I'm not a compressor expert, and it does seem to be a black art that not everyone gets to grips with easily.

So, does it sound like a decent quality compressor is the thing to get my sound where it needs to be - the one thing (IMO) in the Boss's arsenal that doesn't cut it; or have I got the wrong idea totally? I'd likely be using just the Mid Shape and EQ on the Boss, maybe a subtle hint of chorus. Is there something else I should compliment the Boss with to get closer to that tone?

I'm assuming that a the separate comp will sit nicely before the Boss in the chain, right?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use a GT-6B. While the compressors are nice as effects, they are complete crap in terms of tonal shaping. I am looking into getting an outboard compressor sometime (for recording, my 400+ compresses nicely live).
  3. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Rav: I love my ME-50b but have questioned the same thing. There is limited flexibility with what you can do with the compression in this unit. This becomes apparent when you want to go from compression as a function to compression as an effect.

I was playing around with an Analogman Bi-Comp, which is two compressors in one and using the BOSS compressor for three compressors! The results were spectacular but… I had to question how often I’d use this sound, if it was worth the money and pedal board space for.

Likewise, there are compressor savvy bassists who split their signal and compress the lower and upper bandwidth separately. My hat is off to such perfectionist of the bottom line but my bottom line is that I use such little compression that the ME-50b suffices.

Good assumption but if you are going for an effect try putting a compressor after. Half the fun of effect pedals is mixing things up and getting suprised by an unsual and desirable effect!