Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS ME-50B ... Any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GreenMachine, Sep 26, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
  2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like mine. It is indeed solid, but I disagree with the expensive part.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think it's the best multi-fx out there at the moment, if you do a search you'll find many many threads talking about it.

4. I quite like mine.

I had a stupid notion of selling it a while ago, and bigbenner basically talked me out of it! Thanks Ben!

Too many good things to mention, even though I've only got about 4 presets that I use regularily, but that's enough for the band I jam with. The only thing I've noticed is the octave pedal part ain't that good in that there's a bit of a delay. But I'd never use it anyways.

Think about what you want? Say a chorus, overdrive, volume pedal, and a tuner. Even if that's all you want it's still probably cheaper than all those pedals. Cleaner, less cords etc.

Buy it.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 to all of the above.

I love mine. I can get just about any sound that I need out of it. I'm not crazy about the compression, but I've had great results with everything that I've needed it for.

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    $500 not expensive? ok well it is inmy world. poor student here :). how good is the wah and the metal setting? ive just heard some that are pretty dodgy.

7. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I got mine for $275 used I think. Picked it up here. I sold it realizing im not an effects type of guy and regret it. It was good to have around "just in case"

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Personally, I'd save a little and get the Boss GT-6B. Far more tweakibility, more options, etc.

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    If you dont need amp modeling, I recommend sticking with the ME 50B over the GT6B. I've owned both, and preferred the ME because it let my amp and bass sound like my amp and bass...

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    that $500 AU ? thats what i bought mine for here new 2 years ago. you can get them for half that on ebay.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

.....more money, more to go wrong, WAY more effort setting up, too. Frankly, I avoided the GT-6B because when I'm at a gig, I want to be the bass player, not the IT guy. My friend bought the GT-6B, and he's constantly annoying the hell out of me, going on and on about patches, preamp settings, blah, blah, blah. I mean, this guy is neurotic! Now, imagine if I bought one; now how many calls would I get from crazy bass player dude? No way in hell was that gonna happen, unless I enter into the witness relocation program first.....

12. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I have both, the ME-50B and the GT-6B. The ME-50B is WAY easier to use/program. I paid $295 for it brand new.

13. They've been at 300 new for a year now. Several have been through the classifieds here for 200-250 dollars.

I like mine...even the compressor works fine as long as it's setup well.

Jay

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    $500 NZ.

well il probibly end up buying that. thanks guys

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It's the best multi-fx I've tried and I've tried GT6b and Bass POD XT Live both of which are just needlessly complicated imo and amp/cab modeling is a pointless endeavour imho too. The controls are self explanatory and it's easy to get it up and running with a good tone.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's limited in the combination of effects it allows you to use. But it does what it's supposed to do well.

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, it's not perfect by any manner of means since all multi fx units are a compromise.
    But it's got the best combination of ease of use/editing, size and sounds I've heard in a multi fx unit.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Being a poor student myself, I'll help you with your math homework.

A good wah: 'round 100
    A good distortion (metal setting?): 'round 100-200.

This box might be a little overkill for you. And the cool thing about buying single effects (aside from a higher quality most of the time *More tweakability*) you won't have all that extra stuff to sort through. I dunno. If you're poor, don't spend 500 on a pedal.

*this advice brought to you by a man who is poor and just dropped 300 on a looper, thank you good night*

P.S. Kyuss fan? :bassist:

19. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    just got mine in the mail yesterday from mf, yipiee! :D
    played around with it today, taking it on its first gig in a few hours, I think it's gonna be fun.