Boss: ME-50B Bass Multiple Effects....anybody used it??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LifeSpitter, Dec 26, 2005.

1. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    I play primarily, Rock, Blues and Funky/Jazz type stuff and I've been looking into this boss multi effects pedal. It seems well laid out and useful, but i havent been able to demo one.

Does anybody own one, or as anybody used one?

If so, how is it?

What other multi effects pedals would you guys recommend?

(im not looking to buy a Bass Pod XT Live)

2. There are several threads about it in this forum.

My goods:

- decent tuner (also serves as your bypass) - nice work with the volume pedal down allowing you to tune without any stage noise.
    - decent compressor (I like the "natural" setting on the compressor - very "optical" compressor-like)
    - nice chorus/reverb/delay effects
    - decent overdrive/bass driver effects.
    - EQ is nice...midrange sweep is very flexible (I actually use it to cut 250 hz to reduce any boominess in the room/stage).

- Can't combine effects in same bank
    - factory presets are junk...really loud (above unity gain) and pretty unusable.
    - Eats batteries - yes you can use the power adapter (optional), bu the unit is quieter and more stable with batteries.
    - Octave up/down is very questionable depending on how you play, etc.

Thats my .02 worth,
  3. bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i have one, and i love it. Yes the octave functions are terrible but i love pretty muh everything, the o.d's/distortions are fantastic, the chorus, reverb, delay functions are sweet too. My only real problem is that i cant fit it in my pocket lol.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's the best bass multi-fx floor unit I've tried, and I've tried 99.9% of them.

The ods/dists are very good, chorus is good and the eq is flexible. Not every effect is great, as mentioned, but that's always the case with multi-fx units.
  5. I have one and like it alot. I also haven't used mine in a while.

I also have separate phaser and flanger units (also Boss) and individually they're more flexible than the phaser & flanger on the ME-50B, but they're both about $100 each. I don't think anyone in the audience will notice the difference.

I'd say that anyone who buys one will find about 75% of the effects very useable, the rest...

The synth effects are garbage, IMHO.

I'd recommend it.

6. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I played on one quite a bit the other day, and here are my thoughts:

1. I really don't ever use almost anything on it. I use OD, Tuner, Chorus, and Wah.

2. I think the OD pales in comparison to a Big Muff. The Chorus, seems to not sound as good as the Boss standalone chorus. I like the 105Q bass wah much better, and the TU-2 is very handy as a tuner when using it as a muted tuner.

3. It seemed like the 50 got "confused" when playing chords, and mid to high register chords. Seemed like it could not make up its mind which not to apply effect to. Crappy explanation, but hopefully you get the drift.

4. Many of the effects just were garbage. The octaver and syth specifically.

So, I guess, for me at leats, do I want 375 dollars worth of effects that I use all the time, and do their jobs exceptionally well, or do I want to spend 300 dollars on something that does those same effects just acceptably, and has a bunch of other stuff that is worthless, or that I will never use.
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    used it on a 3 day gig this past week.

the exp pedal has nice action to it, i like it better than the action on my eb vol pedal.

the drive/od section is solid, i liked the bass driver.

the first section (i forget the name) was the least useful to me

the mod section was nice too. decent phaser and flanger and delay, didnt really try anything else

the wah sounded weird through my rig, although i noticed that my eden 210xst isnt very transparent and wah's tend to not sound good through it, i needed a 105Q to be able to hear pronounced wah with a clean tone.

kick drum is fun to play with for self-jamming. along with aux in.

i found myself sometimes pressing 2 pedals at once accidentally a few times, but i just trained myself to only use my toe biggie once i did that.

the compressor is pretty good as well.

the synth was pretty bad for me.

for the money its great. if i didnt already start building my meager effects pedal collection that can serve double duty for my g**tar also i'd consider just using one. because going seperates also includes the pain of getting patch cables ($50ish) and a pedal board ($50-$100ish)
  8. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If I was paying 50 bucks for patch cables, I would be in pain as well!

My pedal board is a piece of plywood with industrial velcro on it. Cost me about ten bucks.