Boss ME-50B - COSM SansAmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RavCat, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a new Boss ME-50B (recommended by so many people on this board!). I've also noticed that a very popular pedal is the SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

The ME-50B models the SansAmp, and I was wondering how accurate the simulation really is. Has anyone tried both, or A/B'd them?

Same goes for the Bug Muff, also modelled by the ME-50B.

2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've had them both at the same time (still have my ME-50B), but I didn't know the Boss was supposed to sound like the SansAmp, and I certainly didn't hear anything to make me think it, either. Frankly, if it did sound like it, I wouldn't have bought the Boss.
  3. Yep, from the manual (p12):

But I'm guessing if you didn't use that particular drive type, you wouldn't have noticed?...
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I tried the me-50B and used a BDDI, and I dont think the me-50b's bass driver sounds at all like the sansamp. maybe the crunch/drive is similar, but not the tone.
  5. gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Just like BassPod XT is supposed to sound like the Bassdriver....In reality it hasn't got any of the dynamics of the Bassdriver...
  6. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Actually, I have used that, and I read enough of the manual to have read that, too. I just forgot I read it! Anyway, I was under the impression that you were talking about the preamp, not the distortion part only. Either way, the Boss has it's sound, and the Sansamp has it's sound, and they are different to my ears.
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have never used a SansAmp but I know the sound: it's a 'gritty' distortion. The ME-50b produces this gritiness. Despite using a lot of effects live, I'm always looking to simplify. I can already get the SansAmp functionality out of my BassBone DI and distortion/tone shaping from my ME-50b. Hence, I have sans interest in a SansAmp.
  8. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i cant remember what it sounded like to be honest, but whether it sounds similar or not you will find a lot of people here praise the drive section of the me50b.
  9. bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i use the metal o.d. with the drive on full, some proper o.d. there, great for heavy metal