BOSS ME-50B tone robbing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big Benner, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I left my BOSS ME-50B at home one night for a jazz/groove gig and I couldn't believe how great my tone was bass straight into amp. Lakland fretless into SWR WM12 combo and everything was alive. The lows were lower and the highs were higher with more gain and presence. Have I been setting up my ME-50B incorrectly. When I need more bass EQ I would turn up the bass on the ME-50B but that night I had to turn it up on the amp and wow, it sounded fuller and bigger and more natural. I'm going to mess around a little more and try a lot of band practices with the bass into ME-50B (in tuner mode) into amp and see how that goes. Then once I have a good sound I'll switch on the ME-50B and try and get a flat sound with as much good stuff.

Anyone else find this?

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I notice that when I have the compressor turned on there is a change in tone. I love going straight into the amp but I need some of the distortions and a little chorus. I also use the auto wah on some stuff. I might go out into the garage and tweak a little tonight and see what I can get. I pretty much have every knob in the EQ section set to the 12 o'clock position but that may not acually be "flat" I guess.

I think I will eventually make a true bypass for my effects.
  3. I noticed this with the ME-50B and GT-6B.. The older ME-8B doesnt seem as bad..
  4. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I noticed that the less I put between my fretless and my amp, the better it sounds.
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    ... which is why I ordered a Loooper. Now I can bypass my Me-50B or Gt-6B and have great tone.

I'm thinking of getting a 2Loooper and running both units. But I need to see how they work together before I actually order one.

IMO, anyone running effects should be using one of these puppies.
  6. Anybody run the ME-50B through the FX loop? With most SWR amps you could take the signal right out using the FX blend. A better way would be with your feet using a looper, but the FX blend would be cheaper for me.

I'm sure from memory that the FX send on my SWR SM900 is really really hot,... it might overdrive the input of the ME-50B. And I don't want to turn the gain down on the preamp because IMO that's what is making it sound so good,... a good hot gain.

I'm going to play my first gig with my rock band without the ME-50B, my main reason because it's an outdoor gig with a lot of variables that I want to keep simple. I'll mess around more and update.