Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ME-50B vs Bass Podxt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by renquan, Feb 8, 2005.

1. renquan

renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    Hi, would like to seek advise on which one to get.

I only require the bass overdrive and the compressor. The rest of the functions will be a great addon to try out new sounds, that's why I want to get a multi effect pedal rather than a single overdrive pedal.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I picked the ME-50B over the Pod, because I do a lot more live work than studio work. If the situation was reversed, I'd go with the POD.

3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have the bass pod xt and the effects are not very good. It seems that most of the effects have a built in tone suck to them.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've used both of the Bass POD's...if that's all you need out of it, I'd stay away. IMHO Bass POD's are only really useful in the studio.

Get yourself a good compressor and overdrive pedal and be done with it. ;)

5. renquan

renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    for compressors and overdrives which individual pedals do you all recommend? I borrowed a boss CS-3 (dunno if i got the model correct) and it works quite fine..

I've heard the overdrive (on me-50b) on the video demo and think it sounds rather like what I need. What do u guys think?

Anyway I've been holding back on my purchase of boss me-50b cos if i paid abit more i could get a gt-6b instead, which is currently out of stock near my place. Are the amp modelling in gt-6b worth the extra cash? What other differences are there btween me-50b and gt-6b?

6. I just recently bought an ME-50B, and while I'm still experimenting / learning how to get useful, good tones out of it, I'm very happy with it considering all the effects you get for the price. One setting that I really like so far is: Compressor set to 160 soft with the distortion set to bass drive. It kind of smoothes out the rough edges and adds warmth.

Just going by the two weeks that I've been fooling around with it, I'd say it's a very good unit for the money. ;)

Never tried the bass pod or GT-6B.

Mike

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    IMHO, no. If I was doing studio work it might be different but I play in a live cover band and have no use for modeling.

The GT6-b is menu driven. It's too complicated. (No, I didn't read the manual.)

The Me-50b is a deceptively simple user interface. It's all knobs (like analog stomp boxes) so it's easy to use without reading the manual, right out of the box!

Also, it's possible to save and edit effect parameters. There is a memory of presets and I use them all.

Whenever you have a multi-effect that does a lot of things, there is always a tendency to look at your perception of overkill and what is lacking.

For me, the real lacking element is a parametric EQ. However, there is a bass, treble, mid, mid freq and master volume and effects for mid shape bottom boost.

Also, the engineer's sacrificed some control flexibility and second-guessed what users wanted. This is actually a plus as they succeeded admirably.

Conversely, the overkill for me is the modeling. In addition to the regular BOSS compression, flicking to D-COMP gives the characteristics of the MXR Dynacomp (really noticeable at high compression levels). Likewise the 160d settings emulate the DBX 160 compressor. Likewise there is distortion emulation. Nice but unnecessary.

The effects integrate well together. For example, a setting I love is to use the "Octave up" effect (which creates a pitch one octave above the original tone) and run this through high-band distortion (which only distorts the higher frequencies). When these two effects are used together. The distortion is only applied to the octave-boosted sound. When the guitarist in my band is soloing, I'll often use this to create the sound of a second guitar in union an octave apart.

8. renquan

renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    hm.. guess i'll get a me-50b in a few weeks time.. going down to the shop to try it out first. Or should i get a sansamp bass drive DI first? I feel that my bass lacks the "live" tone I need.. i'm using a old yamaha rbx with p and j setup.. costs around $200USD or so..

any advice?

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    What are your objectives ?

The Sansamp is a DI box and preamp. If you are playing gigs where you are DIing into to a house PA or mixing board then maybe.

If you want tonal shaping, what can the SanAmp do that your exisiting preamp doesn't do ?

Is it the SanAmps's great distortion effect sound ? There are a lot of bass distortion stomp boxes that are cheaper as they are not a preamp and DI as well. The ME-50b has a selector to emulate the SansAmp distortion sound.

I don't use half of the Me-50b features but I knwo what my objectives are and the ME-50b meets them all in one unit.

10. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    So, the Bass Podxt and xtPro suck tone?
    But, what about the GT-6B? I don't mind menus and an all digital interface... I just need effects that work and sound good. Doesn't matter if it takes me an hour to find that tone. As long as it has it, ya know?
    Oh, and the GT-8 came out... any estimates on the GT-8B?