1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BOSS ME-50B vs. BOSS GT-6B ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by srptopdog, Sep 25, 2008.

1. srptopdog

srptopdog Greyhounds make good sound engineers - Big Ears!

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is the GT-6B discontinued? Seem like it? Pros/Cons anyone? GT-6B appears to have a balanced out. Can eaither one act as a premap w/o a DI? Other thoughts? Thanks much.

Salvatore ~

2. Musician's Friend says it's been discontinued. The replacement is the GT-10b, which doesn't have a DI. The GT-6b looks to be still available from a few sites. The ME-50 is much easier to use/get sounds out of quickly. The GT-6b really needs to be programmed and takes a little longer to get familiar with.

Not sure what you mean as "act as a preamp without a DI". Do you mean a preamp into a power amp? Or to a mixer???

3. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I have an ME50B. I'm not a big effects guy so the ME 50B works well for me.

It has a great tuner built in.

I rarely need compression, but to squeeze it a little is just to tweak a knob

I need the ability to raise the gain structure up and down a little for soloing, slapping,etc. The ME does that well.

I use two different basses with different sonic capabilities. The ME helps me take better advantage of them without messing with the amp a lot.

The fretless simulator actually sounds cool if not misused.

Any parameter can be edited in seconds.

JKT

4. srptopdog

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Humm. Perhaps I mean both?

a.) Into a mixer if I want to record direct, w/o needing a preamp, or to FOH in a live situation.

b.) ...and, can I use either as a preamp to go directly to a power amp?

Still a bit new to the fine points of bass guitar live & recording setups.

Thanks

5. srptopdog

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm looking for some staple effects, and amp modeling isn't an issue with me, so I'm leaning in the ME-50 direction. How clean does it leave your sound? Any coloration? Any hiss or unwanted noise/artificts? Does it have a true bypass?

Thanks for the feedback.

6. The output level is -10dBu, which is instrument level. It won't work well as a preamp in either situation.

7. The ME-50 is a good choice for getting into bass effects fairly inexpensively. I don't think the ME-50 is true bypass, but with all effects off it doesn't seem to really change your tone. Some settings will give you hiss and noise, as with any pedal. It's fairly easy to get rid of these (don't overdo the settings), and it does have a noise suppressor in the unit.

For more in-depth reviews, see:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/ME-50B/10/1

8. srptopdog

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Cool. Thanks much.

9. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I don't find it to be a particularly noisy unit. I agree it is no more noisy then many stand alone pedals and the noise supressor is fairly effective.

Nice sounding but not too radical chorus

very usable octave tricks

Envelope filters are okay but not as musical as my DOD IMO

A boat load of distortions if you're so inclined

A fairly usable, writable EQ section too.

JKT

10. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Boss ME-50
    Got it: loved it, hated it, love it again.
    You have to spend time with it to make is sound really good.
    It is a very good multi-effects pedal, but you have to learn how to tweak it to get the "best" tones out of it.

11. srptopdog

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hum. Sounds like some basses I've owned! Thanks!

12. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    there is an XLR out on the GT-6B. i've used it for recording direct into my computer and into mixing boards. it seemed to work just fine- as well as the DI on my amp itself.
    i don't think that you can use straight it to a poweramp tho.

yeah the GT-6B is more complex, the ME-50B is more plug and play. i still have plenty of love for my GT-6B although i only use a few of my own presets on it these days-there is a nice compressor (Vtg Rack U) and i dig some of the choruses. the wah works OK if you tweak the settings. dist/ODs sound too digital to me. there's lots to play with, so if you like buttons and programming id go with that one.

13. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    I had the ME50B when I was in the US, and I bought it again when I came back in my country, I just love its simplicity. I've used it recently for a recording, it's probably not as good as a DI, but if you have don't have a very long cable you don't loose too much and to me it didn't sound too noisy in this situation.
    Regarding the effects, you can hear some examples on my myspace: www.myspace.com/seb_bass_tien particularly the autowah on track 9 "The Ride", and the synth with moving envelope filter on track 3 "Gila Monster" around 06:01 and the ending (this filter can be actioned via the expression pedal)

14. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had both. The output level control on the GT-6B had enough juice (at least on the 1/4" outs) to drive line inputs.

The ME-50B was cool but I was bummed out that you can't use T-Wah and octave or fuzz & synth at the same time. There are workarounds using the expression pedal for wah or octave shifting but it's not quite the same. I found myself bringing along extra pedals to gigs to make up for these issues which kinda defeated (for me) the purpose of having a small multi-FX unit. Other than that I think it's a a good choice for someone who occasionally uses FX and wants a rugged, compact, versatile box.

I liked the GT-6B but I was more into individual pedals at the time so I sold it. I'm definitely interested in checking out the GT-10B.

15. firebass6

firebass6

Feb 14, 2008
    I use my GT6b as a pre amp into a stewart Pa 1000 amp. It works fine. I also created a patch that sounds just like my bass then added effect to it. Ive been happy with this unit

16. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    I regularly use both the ME50-B & GT6-B. From a comfort point of view the GT6-B when carefully programmed up; is easier on the busy gig. Worth taking your time to understand it. You don't have to remember what patch is where. You have the custom text screen rather than just a bank number. Set up different banks with patch name, your guitar initial on front if you wish. Patch per song if you wish. You can backup & restore the GT6-B with a midi/USB cable. The tuner in my opinion is more accurate on the GT6-B. You can partially customise switches the GT6-B to your liking. Set the order of your pedals using PC if you find onboard too fiddley.
    One draw back of the ME50-B is that you need to add an up/down bank switch if you need more than three user banks and manual mode. On the other hand the ME50-B uses batteries which are in itself a back up if power outlet distance or power supply unit is ever an issue. Neither pedal will ever let you down. I will say that the GT6-B is a cleaner sound. I have recorded both simultaneously. The GT6-B is my 1st choice for recording and big gigs. The 50B for smaller gigs using one Bass guitar & church use. The ME50-B weighs 7Lbs & the GT6-B weighs 10Lbs. The extra 3lbs and general bulk is really noticeable, but worth its weight in gold. The price is coming down by the month. However try the GT10-B first. I’ve not tried it yet, so can’t comment. Very surprised not to see more reviews of the GT10-B on here. Good look with your purchase.

17. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I have owned and extensively used a ME and i have a Gt in the mail. more on that later.

18. srptopdog

Feb 24, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hum... Good stuff here. Thanks everyone.

I played a ME-20B last night. Delivered on sound and features, but now as I compare the spec sheets, can anyone help me wit why I shouldn't get a ME-20B vs. a 50B? It seems like the 20 is newer than the 50, so is the cost difference justifiable? The 20 looks to have more user presets than the 50, and a bigger LED screen.

Thoughts?

BTW - The GT6B is gunna be too big for me, but it looks cool for sure.

Salvatore ~

19. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    ME-20B doesn't like an equivalent to ME-50B. ME-50B can basically be used like a set of stompboxes, each being tweakable on-the-fly via the knobs.

I don"t have an ME-20B, but I have seen a photograph of this unit and it looks like it has only 5 knobs, so it must be used only via programmed patches tweakable via on-screen menus. ME-50B has 14 effect knobs allowing easy control of 3 to for 4 parameters by effect right under your fingers (plus it has compressor, EQ and output level control knobs, making a total of 22 knobs on the unit).

If you don't mind having to used patches, go with ME-20B. However, I found that in different venues, effects sound different and often need to be tweaked. I hated having to reprogram patches so often via menus. ME-50B is better FOR ME, but it's also because I don't use too many effects, even less complex effect overlays.

Maybe you can order online, try a ME-20B for few days in real conditions, then if you don't like it you can return it to get and try another unit like the ME-50B.

20. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    The best thing about the Boss me50b is that it can be used like individual stomp boxes. I never use the pre-sets. I like to tweak the sounds in real time. I hate scrolling!!!