1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME-50B vs. Zoom B2.1U

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Hi,

I've been playing for a little while now, but haven't ever made a foray into the world of effects, and decided that a multi-effects pedal would be a much more affordable than buying individual pedals, since I don't really know what I want.

Anyway, the two best options appear to be the Boss ME-50B (about $450-$500 here in Australia) or the Zoom (about $350).
    I've read both good and bad things about both and I was just wondering if you guys who have had experience with both (or either) could just explain what the good and bad points of your particular unit was in your experience and also things like overall quality, sound, ease of use etc.

Thanks.

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Tried both, bought the me50b.;)
    No doubt about it, the only complain is the me50b dosn't have an XLR output.

3. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Go the Me-50B.
    Its got enough stuff to keep you occupied even if you dont like some of the things on there.
    The one thing to look for though is what fx you want to sequence. With the Me-50b you cant run fx form the same switch. ie synth and drive.
    So if you want to combine some fx and the zoom will let you do it where the boss wont, that could swing you.
    But its sturdy and fun and looks pretty rad, cause chicks love fx!

(or so I hear...)

4. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    Zoom B2.1U can be used as a USB sound card. for recording or sth. and it also has a rythm machine build in.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on whether you're looking for extra doodads or high quality sounds. The Zoom has a rhythm box and can be used in a USB port as a sound card, but the Boss has much better sounds.

6. Thanks for your help guys.

I'll probably go for the ME-50B, but the lower price I can manage to get the Zoom for might even swing me that way.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ME-50B is indeed more tweakable, but the B2 has a decent amount of good sounds. The overdrive model is very good IMO, and the flanger/chorus are decent if not outstanding.

8. Guys, with the b2.1
    do the sounds and programs that you can specify i.e amps and cabs actually sound anything like the real thing ,bearing in mind the limitations of what your own amp and cabs produce ?

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I might give the Zoom a shot; I find I'm vastly underusing the ME50B I already have. And besides, almost anything sounds better with a Bass XCiter!:hyper:

10. You can get the Zoom from an eBay store here in Oz for AUD$295 + delivery, so whatever you do, don't pay $350 for it!

11. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I got the B2 version. Without comparing the amp models side by side with the real thing it's hard to say, but from memory, yeah, they sound good. And the thing is tweakable as anything with 6-band EQ, and blendable dry/model sound. The 5 second delay/loop is cool too - hours of fun right there. Only 100 bucks here in the US.

12. Thanks guys ,I was given a B2.1u for xmas and have had fun playing with the patches but have little experience of all the amps and cabs that are modelled .
    I Know what sounds I like but can't justify spending the cash to buy the "named" kit .
    I find it quite fascinating that a box of tricks can model all the stuff that it says .
    [​IMG]

13. I'm also contemplating on between these two for my trial effects unit. I can't find a Boss ME50B here in Manila so I had to look elsewhere with a help of a friend (in Japan), and that plus shipping would cost around $220 USD. If I could get lucky and find a local store dealing an Me50B, it might swell up to $300-$330 USD tops. I saw a Zoom B2.1u here at a local store and it costs $230 USD. I might go for Zoom because of its availability and price, plus the good reviews.

14. hey man don't go either get a korg ax3000b these pedals are kick ass and have heaps of tweakabilities and footswitches with a monster of effects, there are almost up there with the line6 bass pod xt live and you can get them for under $500. Check it out

15. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I don't seem to get along with modulation effects in general but I love the amp models on the B2. I use it for a little pre-amp warming, overdrive, compression, and filter mostly. The delay's are quite good and the pitch shift and ring mod are fun.

16. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    bump. i'm having the same zoom v. boss issue

17. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I have a Zoom G7 for my guitar and if the B2 is anything like it it'll sound as good as the Boss--gotta learn how to tweak the Zoom stuff, but after that they sound great.

However, the Korg is way better than both in my opinion. They're less than $200 new in the states now (down from $350 not to long ago). I have one and other than it not having a USB out its great. (Buying a midi to usb interface solves this problem pretty easily though)

Edit--LOL this thread is old.

18. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    I'm glad there's a healthy ME-50B camp here. I use the Boss unit, and rather like it, but developed a bit o' gas for it's Zoom counterpart ... mainly for the DI, and to change things up a bit. But you know, without, having tried the the Zoom, I like almost all of the sounds on the Boss (and I have previously been a single effects unit player).

The only sound I really have no use whatever for on the ME-50B is the octave up ... terrible. I really like the modulators, distortions, compression, delay, and I think I'm the only person alive that likes the synth, but so be it. The ME-50B is very user friendly, even for guys like me who toss the instructions straight away. (I'm not advocating that practice.)

The Zoom looks good for amp modeling, but as I understand, the Line 6 floor pod specializes in that.

Funny ME-50B story: I keep in mine in an old Targus laptop case (I would highly recommend doing so). My drummer opened the back of my car, and out falls the effects unit, probably four or five feet to the ground. Drummer says, "Good thing is was just your sheet music!" I made him to understand the full impact of the situation ... not his fault, but gives me a chuckle to look back on, especially as my ME-50B suffered NO ill affects.

19. Bearded Bugs

Bearded Bugs

Mar 11, 2008
    Hehe they're very rugged, and pretty good... but the most annoying thing in the World is when using patches, there's a little delay when you switch effects... a little problem, but oh so annoying :meh:

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    How does it compare to the Digitech BNX3?