Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS ME-50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mothmonsterman, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i just bought one today for no particular reason at all, i have never used any type of effect before, and a mean never. any tips or cool riffs that use certain features? hahaha the kick drum effect is sweet.:D

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just bought one of these last weekend. I haven't gotten around to doing much with it yet, other than playing around with it, so I can't be much help on it. So far, I am really liking it though.

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i can't wait till tommorow to try it out on my big rig.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I use one in conjunction with an Aphex Bass XCiter. The unit is great.

5. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I bought one about two weeks ago.

The hard compressor is nice, try coupling that with the hi-band drive on the drive channel and the mid shape on the tone. Gives a nice punchy tone.

The flange and phaser are nice when given a little tweek.

Other than that I havent done too much with the effects. A bit too much for me when full on. But finding some nice tones just playing around.

Synths are average but theres enough else to not worry about it!!

Enjoy.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I figure that there are enough good effects on the unit to justify the cost of it. I used to have a pedal board with seperate pedals on it, but sold all of them off (here and locally). The quality of the individual effects on the Boss unit seems to be pretty high, to my ears anyway. I am not sure about the synth sounds, but I have not much use for them anyway (I am sure with some tweaking they could be quite usable, though).

I have just been using it through my practice amp in my apartment so far, but have been able to get the effects that I want dialed in pretty good using that. Next weekend it will get run through my main rig, so I will really get to put it through its paces then.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I tried one of these at the SoCal Amp and Cab GTG and thought that it sounded great and was very easy to use with the knob based interface.

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Enclosed is a useful excel file I use to track soudds in memory.

The ‘params’ tab contains the voices I have saved in memory. It may seem like a pain to track all of this but it saves me a lot of time in editing a new patch from an existing one.

The ‘summary’ tab is printed out and taped to the floor to remind you of what the name of a patch is.

Attached Files: