1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME-6B Compressor Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have been trying to tweak the compressor on my me-6b to a usable setting and I found that it is only usable with the attack at 0, otherwise, every note is followed by a smooth pop, it sounds like a pillow is hitting every note. Otherwise, the compression is nice with the sustain at about 10 out of 15, but it is way too noisy. I still get a little pop when I play hard with attack on 0. This has been the only negative of this pedal. Any explanation for this?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One possible explanation is that "0" is not really "instantaneous", it's just the fastest setting they designed in. Which would mean that some peaks could still slip past the compression for a microsecond. Another possible explanation is that some compressors have an audible artifact when your signal crosses the threshold. Nothing can be done to fix that, unfortunately.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    How audible is this artifact usually and does it usually become more intense as the attack increases?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It varies on both counts, depending on the specific circuit.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Alright, thanks for the help.

6. Seems to me like 10/15 sustain is a fairly strong setting. In my experience with a Boss CS-3 (perhaps somewhat similar to the ME-6B patch), the sustain knob seemed capable of extreme settings, and it would generate a very significant amount of noise and 'breathing' once past 12 o'clock.

I would reduce the sustain to below 7/15 and increase the attack to see if that helped.

7. I picked this unit up at a Pawn Shop Sale for $40.00 and I Couldn't find a usuable setting for mine either and traded it away...I couldn't get a decent setting (to my ears) out of the Overdive/Distortion either...I found myself just using the unit for its reverb...

8. NahuelCC

NahuelCC

May 7, 2008
    I gonna change my CS-3 and my NS-2 for the ME-6B.
    Give me a reason to not do that.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, if you do some mods to the CS-3 it will sound better than the ME-6B, and noise suppressors are terrible so just get rid of the NS-2 and don't replace it with anything. :)