BOSS ME 90B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Correlli, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Boss’s new bass multi effects unit - ME 90B. Comes with 10 AIRD bass preamp models, including the ones from the GT 1000/Core.

IMG_3773.jpeg

AIRD Bass Preamp Models
    IMG_3774.jpeg

• 61 effects from the BOSS bass effects library
    • 24-bit AD and 32-bit DA conversion, 32-bit floating-point processing, and 48 kHz sampling rate
    • Ten onboard AIRD preamp models including newly developed types
    • Dedicated preamp section plus six simultaneous effect categories with multiple types to choose from
    • Edit parameters, swap out preamp and effect types, and more with BOSS Tone Studio
    • Eight multi-function footswitches and an expression pedal with toe switch
    • 36 ready-to-play preset memories and 36 user memories for storing custom setups
    • Manual mode for pedalboard-style operation and Memory mode for switching complete setups
    • Blend knob for mixing in the direct bass sound
    • Stereo 1/4-inch outputs and mono XLR balanced output with ground lift switch
    • Rear-panel switch to optimize the 1/4-inch audio outputs for a bass amp or full-range sound system
    • Send/return loop for external pedals
    • Load up to three user speaker IRs
    • USB-C connector for communicating with BOSS Tone Studio and audio recording/playback with music production software.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Signal Chain
    IMG_3775.jpeg

Bleeder and mikewalker like this.
  3. Edgar83

Edgar83

Apr 6, 2006
    ITALY
    Very interesting! Finally an heir to the ancient me-50b!!!

It's kinda hidden in the specs but it actually has a 38 seconds looper, which I think is a very nice addition

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The GT-1000Core is still better for my needs. At 17.5", I doubt I can find an underseat bag that will hold it safely. Maybe the TakeOff Personal Item 2.0 XL.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 061311.png

Correlli likes this.
  5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand

mikewalker likes this.
  6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand

RaggaDruida and mikewalker like this.
  7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand

RaggaDruida and mikewalker like this.
  8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    They’ve included 10 AIRD Bass Preamp model with this fx unit. SURELY there’ll be an undate to the GT 1000/Core coming soon. The one I’m personally looking for is a bass version of the IR 2.

Danthoin likes this.
  9. I like it. I'm surprised there's a DI out on it since the ME-90 doesn't have one. I also love that there's a synth in it. The 1kCore doesn't even have one (I didn't find any anyway) or I would have gone for that one instead of my B6. Pleasant surprises in my opinion.

The only downside I can find with it after reading the manual and watching some video's is that it has a limited amount of presets. Having only 36 presets wouldn't work in my coverband where I'm chasing (and changing) tones far too often but for a band playing their own music this should be just fine. Still, having so few presets feels kinda 1990's.

10. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Assuming this pedal will be priced like the ME-90 guitar version, in the +/-$350 USD range?
    I think that Boss does a good job with these types of pedals for cost vs. features. Just like all pedals, some will love it, while others are less enthusiastic, but no doubt it's a solid contender in the entry-to-mid level market. Long overdue.
    I found it interesting that for each effect group, the last effect type in that group can be changed to one of a short list of other effects using the editor app/software, some of which you might not associate with that effect group. That's a clever way of adding a little more flexibility to the effect placement within the serial path, since the effects are pretty much fixed as-is.

Will all of this bass stuff be made available in the GX-100 via firmware update? If so, huge bonus for the GX-100, though it might arguably cut into sales of the ME-90B even though the GX is almost double the cost. IMHO, it's doubtful that Boss goes this route any time soon, if at all, but who knows? Would be very nice indeed. The GX-100 needs a couple more switches!!!

I can see Boss porting the bass models up to the flagship GT-1000, which would be nearly 3x the cost of the ME-90B, so these are apples-to-oranges markets, though it might entice more bassists who have greater programming needs to get into the flagship.

11. As always, bass players pay a little more than guitar players, but yes: 399 USD at Sweetwater and 399 EUR at Thomann.

12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, synth is a good addition. Agree about the 36 stock + 36 programmed preset limitation. Arguably, in a 3 set cover gig doing 12 songs per set, that's 1 unique preset per song, but still, 36 seems arbitrarily low.

Les Fret, mikewalker and BEADist like this.
  13. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ahh, so actually $50 more than the guitar version, currently. Feels like they're targeting the Zoom B6/HX Stomp market, which is ok by me. If only there were a dedicated bass pedal that combined the best features from Boss and Zoom, priced accordingly around $600 USD or so. Feels like the low-mid market requires significant compromise of some sort, and in order to "have it all" requires spending $1000 or well north of that (Helix, Quad Cortex, Fractal, etc.). Even then, it's close, but never 100%. Guitarists have it so much better. :mad:

RaggaDruida and BEADist like this.
  14. Squint

Squint

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    This does look quite good. At first look, my only complaint would be lack of aux in. Yes, Bluetooth is an optional accessory, but a pricey one

singlemalt and BEADist like this.
  15. That blue tooth accessory is $60. Base price doesn’t include a power source wall wort. ($20). Sure, you probably have a pile of power warts already, but really, it’s an extra?

Unless you spring for the Bluetooth dongle, you are still tied to your computer via usb for editing and playing tunes.

The lack of a simple mini stereo aux in is super annoying. Pretty much a dealbreaker.

My most used device is a Zoom B3n, and the way I use it is iPad via aux in and headphones. If it ran on batteries, it would be perfect. The older Zoom B3 runs on batteries, but no aux in.

Come on guys, to be so close and still miss!

Both Zoom units were around $125 used.

Maybe when these are hitting the used market…..at under $200…

16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Pretty cool feature set, but I have a hard time getting excited for any modeler these days. I was unimpressed with the Helix and even the Kemper, which is the gold standard for modeling. When I A/B the Kemper and Helix with some actual examples of the amps that I own, it was pretty amazing how close it sounded. I didn't really start to take notice until I heard them in mixes that everything was just sounding hollow and lack luster. Ended up doing a few retracks with the guitarist using some actual amps and the difference was astounding. Obviously YMMV, but for me, the new generation of modeling devices are still just toys. Fun toys, to be sure, but toys none the less.

41q9ezuBURL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

17. Don't like that it's comp or pitch. But I do already have a BC-1x so that's not really an issue either.

18. Meh.. I kinda agree. Power cables should be included on principle I think. But, as you say, this unit requires such a low power supply that for most people it won't be much of an issue. This will even run fine from my powerbank.

That's the beauty of this thing. Yes, there are a few 'hidden' things in the software, but other than that you can do everything else on the board itself. As one reviewer said: 'It's a multi-effect for people who hate multi-effects'. No pc/phone required. Just dial it in and away you go. Am I missing something?

It would have been an nice thing to have sure. I guess this thing is more meant to be used live than as a practicing tool even though it has a headphones out. You can't please everyone I suppose, but what it does, it does well I'm sure.

19. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    [edited]
    First, your problem is that you used a KPA and Helix, and should have been using Fractal Audio Systems modeling, which is the ACTUAL gold standard for modeling (KPA is a profiler, not a modeler)....kidding...;)

We're talking about the Boss ME-90B here, right? It's general purpose is performance on a budget. I doubt anyone would use it in the context you describe or for high-level recording projects...but...???

As for modelers in general, they are extremely popular for live & touring use in general amongst pro guitarists and quite a few pro bassists, and for obvious, practical reasons. They've also been a boon for space-challenged musician/artists for self-made recording projects - they're all over the internet.

Now, within the narrow scope of pro-level recording session tracking bass, well, there you may have a point of preference of one method over another, so sure, modelers for bass may be less attractive there. Very common to track bass dry and then mult out to multiple tracks for various treatments, plug-ins, etc. And of course, for traditional bass tones, there's always the tried and true P-bass into B-15 with a mic slapped on it, so why a modeled version, right?.

But all this is not to say that high-end modelers are not capable of delivering pro-level recording results. They are IMHO. But not everybody is going to get results they like, or may have other gear they just like better for that purpose, just like anything else. YMMV. Toys? Yup, but very capable toys.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Shlabotnik, GotGroove and BEADist like this.
  20. Thegreatzambini

Thegreatzambini

Aug 25, 2022
    Finally, I’ve been waiting for this for quite a while now

bassproduction likes this.