1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss ME50-B opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbmx, Jan 12, 2006.

1. I can pick up an ME50-B multi effect pedal for a pretty good price so I'm wanting to know what everyones experience with them has been. I've had a play with it in the shop and it sounds great to me but I have very little experience with any effects so I can't be too sure of how good it is. Help me out!

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    if you enjoy the sound of it - that's all you need to know!

3. I've had one...

The effects by themselves sound pretty good, when you start mixing them, thats a different story however, volumes going haywire with no way to control them...

the wah sux cause if you take it back too far, it gets soooooooo bassy I think its a half step from a brown note,

The memorybanks have a little delay between them when you switch...

unless its a REALLY good price, I'd stay clear.
    Personally, I'll dont think I'll ever buy a multieffects unit again...

Got all separate effects now and that works great for me.

4. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i've had my me-50b for about 1 and a half years, and i love it, the metal overdrive is the best bass o.d/distortion i have ever tried, i love the chorus, and the delay is a bit of fun, but i would say the filter/tone section is pretty useless. The kick drum is good for jamming on your own too.

5. Kevbroce

Kevbroce

Dec 14, 2005
    Chico, Ca
    I've had mine about a month, and I see the same problems as Aussiephoenix, volumes jump around a bit with different effects, the wah is overly bass at its lowest, and thought I haven't really used them yet, the memory banks do have a little delay. But I still really like it and recommend it.

I was given a Digitech BP-50 and really enjoyed playing with all the effects so I decided 2 weeks later to buy a good multieffects pedal. I'll bet individual effects could sound better, but I don't have much experience with pedals yet, so I don't know what I really like. Since the boss has so many sounds, I've started to get a feel for what I enjoy, and later on if I decide to get some single effects I think I'lll do a lot better picking ones I like. I mean, how many distorion pedals are available? I don't know whats best for my style of playing, but the ME-50 has 7 different distortions on it, so I'm getting an idea of what I like now. Plus, the price is great. Lots of effects, I love the headphones out, a tuner (very convienent compared to my little KORG that I'd have to plug in and out of), a volume pedal. You save lots of not having to buy batteries/power plugs and all the cables to connect them, I'm very pleased, but it's not perfect.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The ME-50B is a good unit, however, it does cause the tone problems inherent in my Genz Benz amplifer to be more pronounced. Presently looking at a Crate BT-350.

7. I bought an ME-50B about a year ago, and am getting to like it more and more.

I didn't use for a few months, but since I plugged it in again I appreciate its everything-in-one aspect.

You get a tuner, different compressors, different distortions, phaser, flanger, chorus plus a lot more all in one unit for about $300.00. My separate phaser and flanger units were about $100.00 each. ;)

I do think separate pedals sound a little better, and are more flexible, but I don't think anyone in the audience is going to notice it.

Some quick opinions of certain effects:

1.) The synth sounds are terrible.
    2.) Octave up sounds like a ray gun out of a Godzilla movie. :spit:
    3.) Octave down sounds nice and full; sounds nice on a slow ballad.

For the price I think it's a very good unit. I recommend it and would buy it again.

Mike