Boss ME50-B opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbmx, Jan 12, 2006.

1. I can pick up an ME50-B multi effect pedal for a pretty good price so I'm wanting to know what everyones experience with them has been. I've had a play with it in the shop and it sounds great to me but I have very little experience with any effects so I can't be too sure of how good it is. Help me out!
  2. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    if you enjoy the sound of it - that's all you need to know!
  3. I've had one...

The effects by themselves sound pretty good, when you start mixing them, thats a different story however, volumes going haywire with no way to control them...

the wah sux cause if you take it back too far, it gets soooooooo bassy I think its a half step from a brown note,

The memorybanks have a little delay between them when you switch...

unless its a REALLY good price, I'd stay clear.
    Personally, I'll dont think I'll ever buy a multieffects unit again...

Got all separate effects now and that works great for me.
  4. bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i've had my me-50b for about 1 and a half years, and i love it, the metal overdrive is the best bass o.d/distortion i have ever tried, i love the chorus, and the delay is a bit of fun, but i would say the filter/tone section is pretty useless. The kick drum is good for jamming on your own too.
  5. Kevbroce

Dec 14, 2005
    Chico, Ca
    I've had mine about a month, and I see the same problems as Aussiephoenix, volumes jump around a bit with different effects, the wah is overly bass at its lowest, and thought I haven't really used them yet, the memory banks do have a little delay. But I still really like it and recommend it.

I was given a Digitech BP-50 and really enjoyed playing with all the effects so I decided 2 weeks later to buy a good multieffects pedal. I'll bet individual effects could sound better, but I don't have much experience with pedals yet, so I don't know what I really like. Since the boss has so many sounds, I've started to get a feel for what I enjoy, and later on if I decide to get some single effects I think I'lll do a lot better picking ones I like. I mean, how many distorion pedals are available? I don't know whats best for my style of playing, but the ME-50 has 7 different distortions on it, so I'm getting an idea of what I like now. Plus, the price is great. Lots of effects, I love the headphones out, a tuner (very convienent compared to my little KORG that I'd have to plug in and out of), a volume pedal. You save lots of not having to buy batteries/power plugs and all the cables to connect them, I'm very pleased, but it's not perfect.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    The ME-50B is a good unit, however, it does cause the tone problems inherent in my Genz Benz amplifer to be more pronounced. Presently looking at a Crate BT-350.
  7. I bought an ME-50B about a year ago, and am getting to like it more and more.

I didn't use for a few months, but since I plugged it in again I appreciate its everything-in-one aspect.

You get a tuner, different compressors, different distortions, phaser, flanger, chorus plus a lot more all in one unit for about $300.00. My separate phaser and flanger units were about $100.00 each. ;)

I do think separate pedals sound a little better, and are more flexible, but I don't think anyone in the audience is going to notice it.

Some quick opinions of certain effects:

1.) The synth sounds are terrible.
    2.) Octave up sounds like a ray gun out of a Godzilla movie. :spit:
    3.) Octave down sounds nice and full; sounds nice on a slow ballad.

For the price I think it's a very good unit. I recommend it and would buy it again.