Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS ME50-B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cetera, Oct 20, 2004.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experince with new Boss ME50-B Effects Floor Unit?

I'm in the market for a few pedals (chorus, octaver etc) and a tuner and thought this looked like a good deal price-wise (i.e. less than the cost of 3 pedals!)

Any opinions?

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hey Cetera (great handle!)

I'm so happy with my Me-50b that I Ebay'd my rack mount Sabine tuner, ADA digital delay, and Alesis compressor.

The Me-50b does all this (and more) with much lower noise.

After owning this unit for over a month, I have been able to get the sounds I want and easily program them into the presets. This is great for playing live in a classic rock band as I get "signature sounds" of Geddy, Entwistle, Geezer, Jack Bruce with the touch of a switch.

This is problem #1 with the ME-50b: the "optional" foot switch really is a necessity if you plan to make significant use of the presets. I bought the footswitch Boss recommended on special order to find in the manual that I really needed two such switched and a special adapter. This is because BOSS must not make a double pedal footswitch.

I ended up returning the BOSS switch and using a generic double latchless footswitch.

Problem #2 is when you create a preset, the memory basically takes a picture of your settings. If you decide later you want to change the sound quality of that a patch, you have to start over.

In defense of this problem, the workaround is to write down the settings of your preset patches. The last page of the manual has a blank chart table for this. I made an Excel file to do this. This “problem” does keep the operation of the unit simple. There are no menus. No complicated displays, just good old-fashioned knobs!

3. Do a search for ME-50B,... there are alot of comments and info on it.

I love mine. I don't have the optional foot switch that johnvice was talking about BUT I don't have a lot of presets, I tend to use the different effects pedals with the on/off feature. example - set up my distortion as a boost before song and switch on and off as I need it. My suggestion is to buy the unit without the optional foot switch and if you get into the presets more down the road then buy it.

Second thought. johnvice, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but let's say you have a preset and you want to add more bass, so the problem is you don't know were the bass knob is set to (because it takes a "snapshot") then you have to turn the knob until you hear a difference in sound and then set it to your liking, then save it. So you don't really have to start over, do you? Is that what you meant?

On that thought, I think if your the type that likes to mess around with different pedals and tweak, then the ME-50B gives you many pedals cheaper and sounds great. If you want to save and edit and use many many different patches, then perhaps the GT6B is better because of the LCD display.

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Thanks for your replies!

JohnVice - Peter Cetera was a great bassist in his day wasn't he... I just wish he'd still play!

I played through one today and was pretty impressed! I'll check other threads but if it is that good I may just have to purchase one

JohnVice - any chance of some of the settings you use for Geddy, Entwistle etc tones? Thanks!

Anyone else got any opinions?

5. Heya there. Ive got one as well...

I think its awesome. Im loving the different overdrive & distortion effects. Octovator and Wah stuff is good too as is the chorus, phase and the like.

But be warned i found the synth stuff to be useless. i might by an external pedal for my synth needs.

Jump on that one.

6. I'm loving the synths. Squarewave and the Octave Down without any direct signal are my favs. Shoot me an e-mail if you want samples mp3s

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    That is correct. For example, my band does subdivisions by Rush. During the verse, the low bass is done by a Tarus I bass pedal synth. So I create a tone that matches this. (by using the synth module, the delay pedal and heavy compression as single notes are held over two bars). During the chorus, the bass is very "Geddy on the Ric" so I have a tone for that. Both are stored pedal 1 and 2 respectively in one of the 8 banks.

The problem I was having is that the Tarus sound was a bit too loud. The level knob doesn't work in the memory mode so I had to adjust the volume pedal every time I switched voicings.

After that show, I went back to my notes (on the Excel file) and set my ME-50b to the Tarus sound settings. Then I lowered the volume level a few notched and re-saved the patch. The next time we played the song the volume was perfect.

I don't think there is a way to tweak saved patches on the fly; is there ?

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I just notice this request now and will add the excel sheet with my voicings.

9. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you press the edit button and move the level knob and then re-save (write button). It would be hard on the fly at a gig but you could do it during band practise. And you would really have to rotate the level knob for the unit to "acknoledge" which knob you are editing. I usually turn the knob all the way in one direction so I know for sure it's sencing which knob.

10. I'd love the Excel sheets too please. :hyper:

Here's a jpeg of my favourite Synth setting,... reminds me of The New Deal.com

11. well, im pretty sure that would only work IF you had the exact settings of the patch at that time... otherwise, you'd overwrite the old patch with whatever you had ...like... at that time...

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Hey John,

Do you have that Excel sheet for us to see?! :hyper: :)

Thanks!