1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss ME50B, Horrid or Meh

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Horrid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Same as Boss stomps

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. I'm willing to sacrifice quality a little for less money. The effects I need are Chorus, Octave, and Envelope Filter, So far anyway. I'm satisfied with the Scrambler Overdrive that comes in my Ampeg BA115 so I think a multi effects might be the ticket. I'd Save a hundred dollars over buying the individual stompboxes which are Boss Bass Chorus, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and MXR Bass Envelope Filter

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use the ME20B for envelope up, compression, distortion (2nd stage of gain staging), chorus, wah, flanger, phaser, delay and reverb.

The octave on the 20B is only useful within a small range of notes, then the tracking goes sideways.

The problem with the pedal, is lack of flexibility. So, I've replaced the chorus, reverb, compressor and octave with TCE stuff.

3. You will have to try it and see if it will fit your needs, Boss has always made good dependable gear, not the best or worst and always a bit generic sounding, again not the best of worst.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I liked the 50B myself, not "holy crap awesome" but not bad at all - however, I found the Zoom B3 to be way ahead, in terms of quality and quantity of effects. It's cheaper, as well - you can get them here for not much over 1 bill, maybe a bill and a half.

The only things the B3 lack compared to the 50B are integrated expression/vol/wah pedal and the global EQ and compressor. But again, the effects on the B3 are really good themselves and you get more choices with more control. Plus a looper. Plus a drum machine (if you need it).

Two-Spirit likes this.
  5. I think I'll test drive the zoom

6. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I got the ME50 dirt cheap used locally long ago and have kept it around for a few things. Solid stereo delay/chorus and a few other cool effects. I mainly use it for the volume pedal and stereo outputs.

Most of the modulation is solid though IMO, and the expression pedal can do some cool stuff like octave up or down. It also has a swell delay effect which is pretty solid.

Not sure I would buy it again unless it was nice and cheap, I see some going for 100+ which seems like a lot. Got mine for like 50$ but maybe I was just lucky.