Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ME50B in FX loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RavCat, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I have a Boss ME-50B and a 300W Ashdown Mag rig.

When I put the Boss into the FX loop, my signal becomes distorted (especially high frequencies) and the volume is much less than the amp on its own.

If I go direct (bass > boss > amp) my volume is restored, and I experience no distortion. If I run a cable from the FX out to the FX in (testing the FX loop circuit), there's no difference.

I have always thought that if an amp has an FX loop then I should be using it. Can anyone think why this could be happening? Am I likely to be at a disadvantage by not using the FX loop? Does it sound like there's something wrong with my amp?

RC

2. Hi, I had the same problem. Your signal become distorted because to strong signal come to the ME50B. The Boss is made for being placed between bass and amp. To the FX come the signal witch is amplified by preamp and he is to strong for ME50B. Unfortunately ME50B does not have adjustment for imput signal.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I had the same problem also, but I was using an Aphex Bass XCiter in conjunction with the ME-50B. I now run the BOSS between the bass and the amp, and the XCiter in the effects loop, and everything is fine now.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I never thought of trying to run my ME-50b in the effects loop. That would mean a cord for my bass to run into my amp, a cord from the preamp out to the ME-50 in, and another cord from the ME-50 out to the power amp in. ( 3 cords) Running strait through, it's two cords.

With me, simplicty wins!