1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ME50B Octave Down (VS) Boss OC-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rnilson, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a boss me50b and I think the octave down setting is pretty good, but a used OC-2 has become available and I was wondering if it is a huge step up from what I got. Unfortunately I can't get the OC-2 to compare myself.

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The OC-2 is an old analogue effect from the '80s. In performance/tracking terms it probably won't be any better (may even be worse) than what you've got, but you might prefer the sound. It has a really lovely, warm, synthy sound.

OC-2s turn up on the used market very regularly - there are lots of them out there - so you don't have to hurry your decision to buy one. It's one of my all-time favourite pedals though.

3. I had the ME-50B and I've played through a OC-2 and OC-3 and the difference wasn't mind blowing. If you're looking at getting it JUST to replace the octave on the ME-50 then it probably won't be the most cost effective purchase.

If you're looking to buy it as part of a comprehensive plan to move away from digital multis, or you find yourself only using the octave on the ME-50, then it may be something to look into. IMO there are better octavers to look at though. EHX and Foxrox get thrown around here a lot.

But that's just what I think. Someone's going to drop by any moment and say, "Dude, the OC-2 pwns! :bassist:"