Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ME50B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, May 15, 2004.

1. Has anybody tried one of these? I just tried the ME 50 (the guitar version) and I really liked it. I'm getting kind of fed up with digital effects, and I love the idea of having everything right up front with knobs instead of going through a complicated interface to tweak a setting.

2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Bump with another question.

Does anyone know if the Aux in goes to the line out? It would be amazing if this could solve the "more me" in-ear-monitor poblem too. If a monitor/headphone send could be wired to the Aux in, but not add to the line out, I wouldn't need another box for monitoring.

3. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Check out the review in this month's issue of Bass Player. It's got a lot of info on it. I'm sold on it, just haven't gone down to pick it up yet.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    it is a good review in BP...it's got me GASsing a bit over it. Looks like it could be a very useful unit when you don't want to drag around the pedal board.

5. This is true.

But I think that individual pedals will always sound better than a multi-effects pedal.

But, that just my opinion. But the ability to turn on and off whatever pedals you have by them selves, and combine then in anyway is always better.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My understanding is that the circuits in the ME-50B are identical to the respective Boss stomp boxes. If I'm wrong, shut up.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah. it would always be a lot better to customize each effect and combine them.

8. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I actually agree that individual pedals give more flexibility. But they're very expensive to buy and each pedal adds noise to your signal chain. $300 is a lot easier on the old wallet that buying each pedal seperately.

I also rememebr reading that Boss uses the same circuits in the all-in-ones.

The formula I use for all in ones is a little like this:

price+convenience-noise=ME50B

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Could be, but there's definitely also stuff in there that isn't in any current boss pedals. There's a great overdrive, and a very cool high pass distortion.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, there you are.

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    :hyper: I just got back with my brand new ME50B!!

I can't wait to give it a spin.

12. Let us know what you think, and post sound clips if you can.

13. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    namm vid

i found this video from namm.
    looks really cool, I´m thinking of buying this thing too...

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    it sounds like the real deal...I would really like to know what the quality is of the Octave effects---and how you can couple them other effects in the "chain". I'm sure the more folks here that try them will end the speculation and give us a true idea of the overall value. But....it sure looks like a good one... :cool:

15. So is BOSS shipping these things to stores yet? I just checked musiciansfriend.com and they said that they wouldn't have them until June 16th. If I get one, I'm going to need it in the next week or two at the latest.

16. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    these guys have 1 listed as being left....must be a hot item cause they're in short supply.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=boss+me-50b&submit.x=10&submit.y=5

17. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Well I've only had a chance to run it through my headphones (silly me left my rig set up) but I can tell you so far it's amazing. I owned a Bass POD from day 1 and compared to it, the ME50B rocks! It's super quiet (which my POD was not). The effects are dead on, BOSS quality all the way. The octaves sound really nice, the wah is right on. Once again, this is just in the headphones. I'll have a full rig report this weekend. I'll have a better feel for noise in the chain and how it affects the entire tone of a rig. But for $300, you really can't beat it. I only wish you could move through the banks with your feet. But if you buy the extra footswitch, it's no problem to do that.

As for availability, my local music store has had this unit in stock for close to a month. They got it right after it was released, which I think was in March or April.

18. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Modflea,

I'll bump an old question I posted above. Does the Aux-in play out of the line out or just the Bass signal?

19. Well, I just ordered one. It should be here in ten days or so. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it once I get it, and then I'll post a review after I've had a couple of days to fiddle with it.

20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bump more info :)