Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS ME50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Anybody got any good settings on the ME50B im getting mine soon, they are difficult to get here in the UK at the moment.

I was very impressed with the NAMM preview ( on Roland demo CD ) i love effects that add to your sound and not change or ruin the good sound you had before.

Is the pedal noisy ??

Does it bypass well i.e does it change your sound even when all effects etc are off ?

What is the Tuner like, especially on dark stages ?

I like Chorus , Flanger, Octaver, but have never found the Overdrive sounds in other pedals very nice, i.e the ODB3 sounds pants to me as did the Tech 21 unit.

The Boss unit has some nice new sounds i think, what do you guys think of it ??

Can you use it live ??

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'm sure the display panel is illuminated so the tuner should work out well on a darkened stage. Apparently it's not true bypass but doesn't colour the sound significantly. I think a few people have written saying how the overdrives are superior to anything else on a boss multi effects unit.
    Have a search. There's at least one lengthy thread already, that covers most of the things you asked about.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, as dirtgroove said there's some threads in the archives about this. I guess I could dig up some of my patches, but they're so specific to my basses and amp setup I'm not sure how much it'll help. It's an intuitive tool, I don't think you'll have any issues.

The tuner is fine on live stages. It's not true bypass but there's not noticable tone suckage in bypass. Not that I'd use it in bypass much anyway - I'll usually have a patch that has EQ only and that's my 'dry' sound. It's very usable live,

The overdrives are very good on this , the best I've heard on a multi-fx. I've owned a bunch of other multifx before, and the overdrive has always been a weak point on them. These ones are much better.

4. I love my ME-50B. 90% of the time all knobs are set to 12 o'clock, and I'm just starting to experiment.

There's a great synth sound in the FILTER/TONE - set to OCTAVE DOWN with SENS/BOTTOM set to full left, DEPTH/TONE and RESONANCE/E.LEVEL both set to full right. Play in the upper registers and add some compression. You can also add some Natural overdrive and Chorus+Reverb to taste.

Also, loop with the kick drum - DELAY/MODULATION set to HOLD DLY, all knobs to 12 o'clock. Set up the EXPRESSION PEDAL to KICK DRUM and start a fast (130bpm or faster) kick. Hit the DELAY/MOD pedal to record with the tempo and step on it again to stop recording. Remember, you only have 2.8 SECONDS OF RECORDING TIME which really sucks but, this looping feature was an after thought with the ME-50B engineers. The E.LEVEL/RESONANCE knob adjusts the volume of the playback.

Tuner works great on my 5 strings, great on stage but very hard in the sunlight at an outdoor gig. No noticeable change in sound from flat settings on the ME-50B with no FX/Compression to the straight sound. I've recorded little tid bits/grooves with drums so if anyone wants them, e-mail me: ben@legg.com

Hope that helps, anyone else have any settings I could try?

5. Got my Boss me50b, so far im impressed. The tuner is very fast and accurate and will also do drop tunings.
    I like the compressor and Filter Tone sounds as well as the Chorus etc. The Drive sounds are not bad but i prefer to use the Ampeg SVTCL head for the growl.
    Its quiet and could be used in the studio, live work should be fine as its robust.
    The Octaver is great.
    My only negative thing is when you go to edit your own made up patch / sound, you dont know what the settings so you virtually have to start again to tweek them.
    The unit when all effects are turned off seems to provide a good un changed signal to the amp which is important. I hat f/x that alter your tone even if they are all off.You want to add to your tone not change it before you even start turning on f/x etc.
    All in all a good product, any good patches from other users ??

6. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    My band has been playing Dave Matthews style jam band stuff, no need for many effects, but I do have some added punch with my Yamaha RBX755 going into a boss distortion, with the distortion turned fairly down, and the gain up for some extra attack. I play through a Roland 100watt combo, that is VERY VERY LOUD (almost sounds like a 400, surprising power in it)..

I was interested in a wide variety of effects, and I've read the threads that bash the BP200 , and praise the Boss ME50B .. so is the Boss ME50B the best bang for the buck in the mulit-effects field?

7. I would say yes. If you are thinking of going out and buying a couple of pedals (chorus, flanger, distortion, delay) to experiment with than I would highly recommend getting the ME-50B. I think the sounds are great and there's many in there.

Things like the order of effects, or really getting into each effect (like the ratio, attack, release on a compressor) are not available, but bang for the buck,.... for sure.

Plus you get a tuner, 2.8 second looper, wah, volume pedal and sooo much more.

In my jazz/acoustic/jam band, I usually play seated and twiddle the knobs throughout the show. And for my rock band, I set up three seperate "pedals" (T.Wah, Overdrive and Chorus+Reverb) and kick them in as needed.

Hope that helps.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IMO, Yes. There are cheaper units, which are good value for money for what they are, but the Boss is the best sounding multi fx I've heard (and I've tried just about every one there is over the years)