1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss Metal Zone, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm trying out metal distortion pedals for use in black metal. I went to the local store and asked what they had in stock. They had the Boss Mega Distortion, Danelectro FAB metal, Digitech Death Metal and the Boss Metal Zone. Tryied them all and i really liked the Metal zone so i borrowed it home to try with my own stuff and it's even better! I gives a good metal crunch but doesn't take away your lows + i really get a good emulation of John Entwistle's sound from Woodstock '99!

Should i get it or look at something else? Is there any mod available to it?

2. I'd try an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. I've not tried one because i'm not much of a metal fan, but The EHX Muff range are very highly thought of and i'm sure the metal muff would do the trick.

3. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hm, I stay away from the MT-2... I had one years ago but I gave
    it away for a Boss BD-2 wich I find sounds alot better! Can't say I
    play black metal though, more Mastodon in my game.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, if you like it so much, go for it. If you're afraid that as you grow as a bassist you might see weaknesses you don't see now, try to get a used one which you will be able to move at a similar price if you decide to move on to something else.

5. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to use mine for Tool-esque distortion, feedback & harmonics. Lots of fun, and as you noticed, the EQ extends well into the bass range. Works best as part of a blended clean/dirty signal though - I recommend the Boss LS-2 for that duty.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    The LS-2 can do that!? How should i fiddle the knobs on the Ls for that?

7. Set it to the A.B mix and have the metal zone in one loop and nothing (or go jack to jack?) in the other loop and then use the empty loop level to blend clean into the metal zone loop.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    First answer was correct - the empty loop works just fine with nothing plugged into it :)

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    The BOSS is good. Electroc Harmonix Metal Muff is good too. I prefer the EBS distortion pedal over all though. Not sure if it'll get "heavy" enough for you though, try it out.

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Up until recently I never realized the differences between Fuzz, Distortion, and Overdrive. Now, having tried a lot more pedals, I realize that there is a difference in sound quality... so comparing the Big Muff to MT-2 is almost like comparing a flange and a phaser to me. Similar, but not quite the same.

I have the MT-2, and I love it. I've loved anything I've ever owned by Boss. The Muff has different strengths though: Nice, thick, over-the-top fuzz. I have yet to find a place in my music for a Muff like that. I play indie and experimental rock, so when I need mean bite, sharp sustain, or wailing highs, I hit the Metal Zone. I love it. It does exactly what I need. I love the parametric EQ, too. That's something that not many distortion pedals have now.

Personally if I were looking for distortion pedals now, I would also take a look at MXR's Blowtorch Distortion for bass. Go ahead and check out the Muff line by EH, too. They didn't fit my tastes, but you may love it.

If the Boss is what you liked, go ahead and get it. Out of the pedals you named, it's definitely one of the better ones (if not the best).

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm more fond of the Metal Muff sound myself. It's MUCH different than the other Muffs.

That being said, my brother (who plays guitar) has hung onto one particular pedal since the day he started learning to play: the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone.

Both are great, so I'd try to give them both a run!

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    :D :bag:

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    ...:eyebrow:

:scowl:

:D

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I had to. I couldn't help myself. :D :bag:

15. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Lots of pedals sound good when you play solo at home, but don't work so well when you play with a full band.

Also, the reverse can be true (sounds not so good solo, but works well in an ensemble setting).

The insane raging distortion pedal that sounds good at home, can sometimes make your bass disappear in a group setting.

16. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    The EQ in the Metal Zone is a little funky. There are 2 capicitors in the circuit that provide a mid scoop that's popular for metal guitarists. For this reason it's probably not the best to run the entire signal through.

I would use a mix of the clean and dirty signal so you get the nice punchy bottom with some dirty on top.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Unlike some other folks, I found that the Metal Zone *did* kill my low end more than I was happy with - but I also didn't get much chance to mess with settings, so I didn't really take a fair shot at it.

Someone said somewhere that the ODB-3 should have been called "Bass Metal Zone" - it has a decent range from crunch through screaming distortion and maintains the lows pretty well.

And last but not least - the Boss OC-3 Super-Octave pedal has Drive setting where you can apply distortion to both your main note and the 1-octave-down tone. I have NO use for the sound in my current band setting, but I'm going keep looking. It gives me too big a kick to neglect it forever.

18. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    I've got an Ibanez TS9 and a Fuzzface for OD and Fuzz, and i agree that that an OD is different from a Distortion and from a fuzz (OD and Fuzz react to the dynamic of playing, distortion devices less).

One day, i had the chance to try all the OD/dist from Boss with a roland DB500 (like mine), and the best for me (i play rock), is the MD2 followed by the OD2 and the BD2 (similar to the TS9).

Hope this help :smug:

19. I had one for a while and wasn't too fond of it as I found you disappear in the mix with it on, but that's just my experience. You can generally find them pretty cheap on eBay if you want to give one a try. I've found Rat pedals to be pretty good for bass, but you might want to use one of the modded ones to avoid losing bass in the signal. My amp can blend in the effect loop so it's not so much of an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

20. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    +1

I could not agree with K2000 more. Things I work out with distortion (and other effects) at home are typically too extreme for my band.

I always write down the settings I use to create patches. I'll modify them on the fly as my band practices and write down these updates.