Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Metalzone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone has used the metalzone on a bass before. I'm mainly wondering if the lows stay strong even on a 5-string.
    I'm disappointed with my boss OD-3 and I like metalzone's sound on a guitar.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've tried my brother's metal zone with my bass. There were virtually no lows on a 4 stringer, forget a 5.

I'd look elsewhere.

Travis

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I agree. I own one (used it for guitar, but I don't play much anymore), and I've experimented with it some on bass. It definitely doesn't seem like it was made to work with bass frequencies, and even when blended with the clean bass signal, it doesn't sound very good IMO.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i love this pedal for guitar but i wouldnt think itd be too great for bass. I liked this pedal alot when i was in my teens playing guitar in a punk band, with the treble turned to 10, whats that tell u about how well itd work on bass? God i want to kick my 14 year old self for having that much treble in my tone at anytime. When will guitarists learn mids are your friend.

5. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    loses too much low end for most people to consider, although if you want a really screechy type distortion for solos it might be worth looking in to

6. i was at my local guitar center, tinkering with pedals, and i noticed that the mega distortion has an INSANE amount of lowend. on the display racks for boss pedals, its normally the one right next to the metal zone pedal.