Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Metalzone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kraig99, Dec 20, 2002.

1. I have a Boss Metalzone that I bought to use with my guitar. I would like to use it for bass too, but have not found a way to get a usuable sound of it, without sounds way too muddy. Does anybody else use this pedal for bass and if so what EQ settings do you use to get a good sound? Thanks!

2. I have also tried it and I think it is pretty much impossible to make it not muddy with the eq. The first thing to try would be to set the gain very low. You could also try running a clean channel and a distorted channel and then mixing them together before going into your amp

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    The BOSS Metalzone is a notorious piece'o'crap. Sell it to some guitarist who wants to sound like Creed.

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    the only distortion pedal ive come accross that sounds good with bass as well as guitar is the ibanez tone-lok smash box. Souns excellent. i was going to buy a seperate distortion dedicated to bass but since i got this pedal theres no need.

5. Although there are lots of overdrive pedals that work nicely for guitar and bass (EBS MultiDrive works great for guitar too and almost all tech21/sansamp units), onlyx nt many distortions that sound good with bass

6. Hey!! don't sell it!!! :eek: ...yet
    That is, unless you can afford a Sansamp or EBS or something in that league. I have a Metalzone and it's certainly not the best but you can get some decent distortion that easely holds up to the Boss bass-overdrive. I have mine set with level at 11:30; treble at 11:00; bass at 04:00; (can't remember mid-range settings) and drive at 8:30.
    What I like about this pedal is the eq section because you can actually dial in most of the low-end that you usually miss with these things, plus the shaping possibillities of the midrange section. You can take out some of the sharp edges and mud with the treble and/or mid-range section.
    The bad thing is that it's distortion or nothing.
    I have a sound clip I can send you if you like (nowhere to post it)
    Try'n play around with it. It's not so bad as it's rep.

Good luck