1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss MicroBR problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RS, Mar 17, 2009.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello,

I recorded some bass riffs with a Boss MicroBR and the end recordings are way too quiet.

I plugged the bass directly into the HiZ input. I have the input level at 90-95%, the input sensitivity level at +2. Recordings on the unit played thru my headphones sound fine/sufficiently loud. I mastered the tracks with the onboard software and mixed into mp3s, which I then transferred to my computer via usb cable. When I play this files on my PC, the are barely audible.

Any idea what I did wrong, or can do differently to achieve better results?

Thanks,

RS

2. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Anyone has an idea on this ? I'm planning on buying a MicroBR and I'd like to see if there is a solution to this problem.
    :eyebrow:

3. jro

jro

Mar 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    I've recorded with mine but never done the mastering and mp3 conversion on the unit itself. I grab the wave files from the recorder and use Audition for the final mastering. Not that I don't think the Micro BR could do it, its just easier on a big screen. Since I haven't had this problem with the wave files I'm guessing it happened in the mastering or mp3 conversion. The best advice I can give is to go to here and read this article

http://microrecorders.org/articles/bossmicro_first_steps_part3.html

If you want the software to grab the wave files there are links on the downloads section of the same site. The software is by Roland but its tough to find it on their site. With this and Audacity you'd be set to master via computer.

http://microrecorders.org/downloads.html

Good luck!

4. it help s ALOT to use the bass effects in the boss. they are at the end of the effects.. or use a preamp into it set how you like works great ive found ... for more bass volume....dry into the boss doesnt come out too well for me... just for reference.. if i track mp3 or wav.. but not for demos.... also you can turn up the track yolumes individually after you record them in the mix mode as well they are at 100 but go to 125 i think..... try that it may help the tracks you have

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't really care for the effects at all. I've tried the 100+ track and master volume trick, doesn't help much.

As if you say, dry into the unit doesn't work too well, then it is kinda useless as a stand alone recorder. I've found the Z inputs on other daw machines to be totally lacking as well, so I am not too surprised if this is the case.

6. yeah its silly.. but if you use like a preamp or di "sansamp etc.." or a line out or headphone out into boss from a prac amp it will give you more alot more headroom... i hated the bass effect setting too but i edited it a bit...made it nice and clean and FLAT and boosted the volumes i the comp and eq etc... so it just sounds like my bass dry but WAY louder... and its been great.. spend some time and give it a try....the comp and eq have their own volumes to get a much louder signal.... the presets are usually only good for reference i have to tweak all of them for proper levels even if i like the tone...

i like the boss but if i had known that KORG was going make the PX5.......man... i still may get it. its not too $$$
    plus the other thing is i cant play along to youtube. itunes.etc thru the boss NO mp3 in...:scowl: