1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss NS-2 Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stampy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    This is probably a stupid question and I did a search but I couldn't find an answer. Which way is the correct way to use the NS-2? Do I really have to use the send and return jacks for the pedal to be used properly or can I just place it as the last pedal before the amp using the input/output jacks. Does it really make a difference?

2. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Yes... use the send & return. The input/output is for bypass.... think of it as a gated effects loop.

If you wanna use it as an "Always on" type of gate, you could just plug your signal chain into the return and use the out jack to run it to your amp. Should work in theory, but I've never tried it w/mine.

HTH

3. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Roger That, thanks for the quick response.:)

4. DrKagemusha

DrKagemusha

Jan 14, 2008
    It depends on what you want. If you're instrument is noisy, put it right after it. If you're effects are noisy, right after them. Is you're amp noisy, put it in the effect loop of the amp. As I have only a couple of pedals in my board and are not noisy at all, I was using the ns-2(when I had one) right after my bass and then a loop in the amp head to remove bass and amp noise.

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    It's more so the pedals, although my Ampeg BA115 can get a little hissy when I roll up the treble. I don't like lots of treble so I don't have it on at all.

6. if you can determine which pedals are causing the bulk of the noise, you can put just them in the loop....

7. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    You can use it as just a noise gate. You can plug into the input and then use the out put at any point in your chain. the send and return can having nothing plugged into them.

8. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    I don't see how that's gonna work since the gating happens between the send & return. the input/output are just there to let your signal flow thru when you bypass (turn off) the NS-2.

9. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
  10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Exactly. It does work as a "Noise Gate", not a hum debugger or anything. It doesnt have to have anything in the loop.

If you have a noise bass, then you can turn the threshold up to cut it out when not hitting strings. I use it for both cutting hum down on my bass, and keeping feedback at bay.