Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS NS2 Noise Gate

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaren Double J, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Any Boss NS 2 Noise Gate owners out there ??? Do you know if this sleek sexy pedal can get rid of hiss caused by boosting treble ???. I just got a Boss EQ 20 , and whilst I'm more or less satisfied with it , boosting treble seems to create LOADS of hiss in my Ashdown EB 150 combo.

Can the NS 2 'cure' this ??

Or would a different noise gate be better ??

2. try backing off the treb. a little and see if that clears things up...as far the ns goes I really can't say but it sounds like a simple e.q. adjustment will help..or try removing the e.q 20 from the signal chain,that pedal might be the culprit...I had a boss 7 band pedal(ge7?..I think)that made undesireable noise,but when I removed it...VIOLA...no more noise...when it comes to e.q. less is more!..I think most TB'ers will agree....let your BASS sing...and use the power of your amp do the work,not the e.q(outboard or onboard)....also,cutting freq.'s you don't like is better than boosting the ones you do...hope this helps....later!!!

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    NS-2 and an EQ-20. I had a friend mod my EQ-20 so I could step through the EQ settings (I use 2) instead of having to reach down and push that LITTLE button. I don't know why Boss didn't set it up that way, that is the main benefit of having that many settings - to have quick access.

The NS-2 is alright, although I'm considering looking at the ISP Decimator. I like that the NS-2 can act as a mute switch.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The NS-2 is great, wouldn't be without mine. But it's a noise gate - it only cuts hiss while you're not playing, during the gaps. It's like an automatic volume control that mutes when the signal from your bass stops. Most noise only gets noticed at this time anyway, that's why gates are useful.

To be clear on this - it won't reduce hiss while you're actually playing, but you probably can't hear the hiss then, especially in a band situation.

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Not quite. Use the threshold to adjust where suppression starts working. It does eliminate hum that way, and now that I think of it, I haven't really listened to determine how it affects coloring my tone. I set decay to the minimum setting, same w/ threshold - then slowly start bumping your setting until you get to the place where you're getting the "compromise" you need. (a better solution: go through your effects pedals - assuming you're using more than one - one at a time and see if you can't identify the problem there. If you're getting that much signal/hiss, I'd probably do the aforementioned troubleshooting along with taking a look at backing down on my bass' gain and/or possibly adjusting my EQ).

I don't profess to be "the" expert on this, I actually just opened the owner's manual on the thing to jog my memory how it worked. Brilliant!

6. If you set the noise suppressor so it's actively "suppressing" whilst you are playing, you are in fact doing the same thing as just turning down the treble.

For maximum transparency, you only want the NS-2 to activate when you're not playing. If you don't, you might find that your sound dissapears during a quiet passage!

7. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    True; that's why you use the threshold setting with ABSOLUTE discretion; you want to limit only line noise, not signal. I have the decay set at minimum. Try to play your rig at venue settings with decay and threshold at MIN, then boost threshold to wherevery you feel comfortable w/ your rig. You don't want to use either control in a way that will act as EQ in your signal.

8. What I'm getting is that the NS-2 cannot and does not discern between "noise" and "signal." So if it's gating noise, it's also gating your signal!

That's why it's my preference to ensure the threshold is set so the gate is completely open while I'm playing - even during quiet passages.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Dead right.

The NS-2 does NOT suppress noise while you're playing. If you can hear your bass, the NS-2 is doing nothing at all, except "waiting" for you to stop!! The threshold control simply adjusts how quiet your signal has to get before the NS-2 does anything to mute the signal.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    When it is used as it's meant to be - that is, instrument plugged right into input, and noise-producing effects in the send/return loop - here is what the NS-2 works best at - I mean to say perfectly; perfectly - completely undetectable, and perceptibly complete noise ellimination: That is heavy distortion or fuzz.

This takes advantage of the 'masking principle', that says 'a louder sound will cover-up a quieter sound that's at or near the same frequency'. since heavy distortion has such a dense harmonic structure, with such a wide bandwidth, then whenever any note is 'there' at all, it's covering any and all 'background' noise. Especially being that I use tons of compression before the twin distortion units - because of this, the compressor keeps the input to the distortions always clipping - thus always producing dense, noise-masking harmonics. AND - since things are set for the the noise reduction's 'attack' to remain slightly faster than the compressor's 'release' (and the two units thresholds are also 'complimentary'), there's never perceptable 'breathing' or noise surges.

I use the NS-2 to achieve outrageous magnitudes of gain and distortion, with no percieveable hiss-noise at all, at any time. and this includes letting a note or harmony or chord completely die-out on its own, all the way to silence. With gain structures like this, there'd be instant pickup squeel and a thunderous rush of noise - that's just-as-loud as the played notes were - at any time I stop the strings. With the NS-2, there's NO sqeel; NO noise. It's very cool.

Besides that, you need a dynamic filter - assuming that you can't ACTUALLY elliminate the noise. For example: if you're running an active bass that has some amount of 'native'-hiss to it, then the EQ isn't noisy - it's just faithfully amplifying what's there.

Joe

(edit) OK - one more thing: As the defintions of "gate" vs. "Expander" goes - the NS-2 is definately an expander. It smoothly operates over a relatively wide range of dynamics between being 'fully-open' and 'fully-gated'. What makes this great for the heavy-distortion application is that now a note that's left to ring will die-out 'naturally', according to the way the clean bass (that's what's plugged into the input jack - therefore to where the expander threshold is detected) would die-away.

11. It's a downwared expander... big diff. Lets not get it mixed up with "normal" expanders!