Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss oc-2 and oc-3 and bass synth.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 3, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    shoot me for not doing a search - :p

i'm not much of an effect guy (for bass)

i'm in the position of having to play a great tune (stevie wonder's "boogie on reggae woman") the bass synth part in this is pretty distinctive, and doenst sound right with just a plain jane bass tone. i tried out the boss bass synth and got a very convincing tone, but i dunno if i want to shell out 2+ bills for one song.

sam ash only had an old very beat up oc-2 (i hear they have released the oc-3) is there an oc just for bass by boss or are the oc-2 and oc-3 multipurpose? anyhow, the one i tried gave me a usable tone for the tune as well. i was very wierded out by how much the octave "channels" oscillated. it wasnt subtle at all, but sounded very very synth like. it really sounded like there was something wrong with the pedal. it sounded cool as a synth, but not at all what i would have expected. i was expecting just a straight octave sound without all that warbelly oscillation. is that normal for the oc-2?

'scuse my ignorance here kids. he'p me out. :)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Digitech Bass Synth will do the job for 80 and can be used as an octaver too.
    [​IMG]

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If you can, I'd use a Deep Impact for Boogie On.

4. While the Deep Impact might nail the sound, you have a better chance of finding hens teeth, as they say. The Digitech or DOD envelope filters are probabaly the most readily available and inexpensive options for an envelope filter stompbox.

Sounds like the OC-2 in your original post was a bit sick, Mike? I found the OC-2 to be more subtle than the the 3, but never had the oscillate effect from either of them (unless its not tracking a low B, that sounds a bit phaserish).

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The OC-3 tracks better than the OC-2 in my experience (having owned an OC-2 and having tried an OC-3 in the store). The OC-3 is also more versatile.

6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Tried both recently, the OC-3 was better in my opinion. Best tracking, best sound, possibility to play chords. It has aspecific input for bass.

I'm waiting for my own OC-3, it's payed, it should be home in a week.

7. I picked OC 2 as I think it is good enough for me.

8. The OC-3 also has an OC-2 setting as well as an overdrive setting. Plus separate inputs for bass and guitar.

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Quite normal, as it's been said. That "weirdness" is exactly why I picked up an OC-2. I also have the DigiTech BSW, which sounds great and tracks very well.