Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss OC-2/EBS Octabass/EHX Octave Multiplexer/Digitech Synth Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 15, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hello! I'mgoing to buy an octave pedal in couple of weeks, but have no opportunity to try one. As I understand the major four are:
    Boss OC-2
    EBS Octabass
    EHX Octave Multiplexer
    Digitech Synth Wah
    MXR M-88

Basicly all I expect from octave pedal is just octave down function and would be cool to be able to remove original octave and leave bottom octave only for drum'n bass/jungle stuff.
    Also price is important for me. I don't want to pay doble price if there is no reason to do that.
    I can get good deals on EHX and Digitech. OC-2 I think is now available on ebay only.
    Thanks.

2. I think the best one would be the EBS octabass but, considering the functions you want, I would consider the MXR M-88 bass octave pedal: simple and effective.

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    MXR M-88 is only 10 Euro cheaper then EBS, but I will inclued in the list anyway.

4. I'm definitly an Octabass fan. But I think it depends what you like. The Octabass makes a really natural sounding octave, not synthetic at all, whereas some of the others have a tone that sounds very artificial, which can be really funky in certain contexts.

5. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I think I like both sounds, from the other side I can color clear sound with the filter or any other effect. By the way, what about monophonic/polyphnic? I had Akai Deep Impact and I think it was monophonic, so I sold it, that was not the only problem, but anyway. I'm not going to play chords through octave pedal, but I like to play legato sometimes, so I would prefer polyphonic one.