1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss OC-2 Octave - Or - Octaver (Japan) or OC-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Looking around for a Boss Octave Pedal, thoughts on the OC-2 or the Japans OC-2 Octaver of just a OC-3

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I like the tracking of the OC3, but of course the OC2's tone is the daddy. No appreciable difference between Octave and Octaver except for $$$, as far as I've read in these hallowed halls.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  3. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I have a MIJ Octave (Late 80s I think before they moved), very musical pedal. It can get very glitchy depending on your finger attack which is useful for me for creativity. Love how it sounds with a pick too. In my opinion the tracking is fine, I play in drop D and it tracks well up to the 5th fret on my low E. The tone of it is phenomenal.

pellomoco14 and Swimming Bird like this.
  4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The Boss OC 3 is my digital Octave pedal. Sounds exactly like the Basic Gear Review demo. But also looking for an analog Octave pedal as well.

Newbilong likes this.
  5. Newbilong

Newbilong

Aug 14, 2018
    The OC-2 Octaver is just the MIJ OC-2 Octave with a different label, isn't it?

Tone and attack of the OC-2 are truly great, but it is finicky to play, and probably tracks better to some pickups or basses than others. I'm in two minds whether to get rid of my beat-up old MIJ Octave, but i would always keep a polyphonic octave on hand, so if i was in the OP's shoes, i would start with the OC-3 and maybe consider getting an OC-2 as well down the road if i found enough uses for an octave pedal.

40Hz and Robertron like this.
  6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    This is making me want an OC-3 even more.

Question for any owners, can you use both inputs at the same time?

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Yet again. OC-2 is the king by far

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Yet another OC-2 thread! :meh:

Boss! Are you paying attention? :mad:

What's the hold up? :confused:

We need a WazaCraft OC-2, like yesterday! :banghead:

wmmj, RickyT, zapped777 and 6 others like this.
  9. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Sorry I did not know that there were many OC-2 Effect questions already posted

alack likes this.
  10. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    There's no limit on OC-2 discussions. I certainly never tire of it. My point is that in the realm of octave down pedals the OC-2 is held in such high regard one would have thought a Waza OC-2 would have already happened. Come on Boss! Get on with it!

Edit: My reply was completely directed at Boss, not you or any other poster.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    wmmj and BassBeginer64 like this.
  11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Finally somwone else who has experienced the magic super low tracking. I swear mine can do open E or lower on the right tension string. Mine is an MIT.

JN8642 likes this.
  12. Micro Pog anyone?

13. Newbilong

Newbilong

Aug 14, 2018
    Yes i can get suboctave on open E. It can track right down there. i get warbling wherever i play and however i play, so i figure that's more about the marriage of my bass and the pedal - it's not a forgiving pedal, and it really needs a clean, stable fundamental otherwise it goes rogue.

JN8642 likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve tried several octave pedals.

I bought a MIJ OC-2.

If you can get used to it’s somewhat quirky tracking and learn to work with it I still think it’s the best sounding octave effect out there.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  15. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I have a Japanese OC2 and I love it but I have to say the OC3 does a pretty close copy in OC2 mode. I recently sold my OC3 because I didn’t really need it. I used to have a Taiwan made OC2 and I A/B’d it with the Japanese and the Japanese won and I think I know why. The tone of the clean signal when the OC2 Japanese is engaged is really pleasant and clear so when it is mixed with the octave the combo is just beautiful. In fact, I would happily use the Japanese OC2 as a preamp/buffer-just turn the octaves all the way down-it sounds that good. The taiwanese model had a slightly darker clean sound. Of course, it still sounded great. The OC3 is versatile-modern octave tones, classic OC2 tones and drive as well. Just my humble experience

wmmj and Vincent Bryan like this.
  16. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I already own an MIJ OC-2, but if Boss pout out a Waza OC-2, I would order one the nanosecond it was available.

wmmj and alack like this.
  17. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    As would I! My point exactly.

18. Whichever one you pick will be the right choice I settled on the 3leaf option, for that sound!

19. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    That's what I love about it, if you articulate your fingers to make it purposely glitch and turn on a fuzz you can get some awesome unique sounds

pellomoco14 likes this.
  20. Boss! Are you paying attention? :mad:

What's the hold up? :confused:

We need a WazaCraft OC-2, like yesterday! :banghead:[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="
    , post: 21976953, member: 11401"]As would I! My point exactly.[/QUOTE]

Come on Boss just do it already!
    Don't worry, if you build them they will sell better that the other bs you push.
    BeatingDeadHorse.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    zapped777, alack and Phyzzbin like this.