1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOSS OC-2 or EHX Octave Multiplexer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dwc3690, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Boss OC-2

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Which one is better?

Thanks,
    Dan C.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't know which one is the best.
    Other than producing a lower octave, they hardly have the same functions.

3. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    They're both supposed to be 'warmer', more 'natural' octaves, as opposed to the 'digital' octaves that the OC-3 and other octave pedals are said to create.

That said, I am going to buy an XO Octave Multiplexer when money allows.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I voted for the Multiplexer :D

I've used both, and I prefer the flexibility and sounds of the new (XO Series) Octave Multiplexer to the OC-2.

It's important to know how the controls differ in terms of wet/dry balance, though; the Multiplexer uses a Blend knob and three different controls for tweaking the octave voicing, while the OC-2 uses two volume knobs and has only one octave voicing. I think you can boost your clean signal with the OC-2, but the Multiplexer can't. Otherwise, it's no big deal at all.

Otherwise, the Multiplexer is a much better analog octave pedal, IMO. I love mine, and I'm going to hate letting it go!

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I also like the EHX over the Boss. However, I'm holding out for the mini-POG! :hyper:

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    EHX.

7. Im holding out for a mini-pog also...

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    See, here's the thing about the POG, though - it's digital... clean, pristine, precise, polyphonic. Like a freshly renovated living room with marble floors.

The OC-2 and Multiplexer are the opposite - they're classics for dirt, growl, imperfection. Like a greasy hamburger on an old grill... delicious and dirty. :D

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1 - i really like the OC2 because of its dirty synthy character. I haven't tried the Multiplexer but its a cool looking pedal and gets good reviews.

I like how on the OC2 you can turn your dry signal down and just have 1 octave down. Synthy square wave kinda sound...

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yep... same with the Multiplexer when you dial up the Blend knob to maximum.

I'm really glad they shrunk that pedal down - it was way too big in its original verisons! :D

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Sweet, didn't know you could do that with the Multiplexer... i'll have to check it out. The XO size is certainly much more practical!

12. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Reviving a 6-year old thread. I have been researching and watching Youtube videos like crazy the last three days, looking for a great octave pedal. I was originally hell-bent on either the MXR M288 or EBS Octabass. But after listening to many demos on the EHX Multiplexer, it's the one I want. I'll be getting one soon.