1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss OC-2 Sound...But Without The Octave Drop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sludgehead, Nov 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sludgehead

sludgehead Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I have a rather strange question.

I love the sound of the Boss OC-2 Octave pedal. It's very warm and super round.

What I'm wondering - is there a pedal that can make the exact same sound of the OC-2 but without it being an octave or two lower?

Or is there a mod that will allow for this?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Exact same? No.
    But there are a bunch of same-octave synths out there that might be similar.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Low Pass Filter? Smooth off the top end for some smoothness, tone knob down and light touch

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Didn't the FEA Growler do this?

5. sludgehead

Aug 9, 2007
    I've never heard of this pedal before so I did some searching. Seems very interesting....can't find a demo video or anything though.

6. MDH bass

MDH bass

Jul 16, 2018
    is playing the lines an octave up on the bass not an option?

SteveCS likes this.
  7. The very rare bird FEA Growler did indeed get that sound, for some reason Frank refuses to make more

sludgehead likes this.
  8. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Broughton Synth Voice? (good luck finding one!)

9. sludgehead

Aug 9, 2007
    In this particular band I am playing in a very low tuning on a 4 string, so I'd have to be way way up to do so. Not impossible but rather limiting.

I'm definitely after the sound and not the function of the octave drop because of that.

I acquired an OC-2 that has heavy corrosion and water damage from being in a basement for a few years. It powers on and the dry signal comes through, but the affected signals are just a very faint buzz, barely there. I wondered about getting it fixed. Or possibly have a mod done which would get the sound without the octave drop (if exists). The screws on the bottom plate are rusted shut, I can't even get the thing open.

10. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    run a digital octave up pedal (eg. POG) into the the OC-2

11. sludgehead

Aug 9, 2007
    Or an EH Pitch Fork...wonder what that would end up sounding like.

12. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I ran Mooer Tender Octave to OC-2, and had DOD FX10 in front of that. That worked. I'm not a much of a cork sniffer, so I'm not 100 % sure it sounds exactly right, but for my ears it did.

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have a FEA growler and it doesn’t sound synthy to me at all. To me it’s a utility pedal / preamp. It’s magic is its ability to get absolutely any dirt pedal to cut through a mix. I also use the second channel as just a small growl enhancer.

For synthy and without an octave shift, I’d say Broughton Synth Voice.