Boss OC-2 vs COG T-16 vs EHX Nano POG [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Si-bob, Dec 14, 2015.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    what is the sub switch all about?

2. Damn that's a fine vid, Si-bob!

Especially liked where you switched relatively quickly between the OC2 and the T16.

Pog sounded fine on its own, it's a different sound and I can see myself wanting that sound on my board, but in addition to, not instead of, a T16 or OC2.

I'll get the T16 as soon as I can, 'cause I can get it new, but I wouldn't pass up an OC2 if one were to float my way (yeah, I'm a bottom feeder). As you pointed out, the T16 gets dang close to the OC2, and then the filter on top of that? Schwing!

While you're advocating a T16 AND an OC2 on your board, what about if I can't get an OC2, how 'bout two T16s? ie...

T-16 on the board for standard octave sounds (filter plus clean volume possible; Then have the second T16 next to it setup for the sub only setting...

Mike_1978 and TG Flatline like this.
  3. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Absolutely, do it ;)
    Si

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ...still smaller than a single oc-2. No?

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks for the demo @Si-bob. Very cool. I MUST have a T16. No question. A fan of the OC2 and the POG. But wow, that T16 sounds massively juicy and just so right. And solid and strong.

TG Flatline likes this.
  6. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    The "sub switch" allows you to solo the Oct -1 voice without any of the original signal in the path. Think of it as a quick way to go from dub to a mixed tone.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Cool, Thanks!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Still gotta torture me with the T16 when I'm perfectly happy with my OC-2, eh? Well maybe if we can get a more favorable exchange rate between the pound and dollar.

9. Maybe, if you use one of those hard connectors between them instead of a patch cable. Even with a patch cable, it wouldn't be much wider especially if using pancakes...
    GPP146__30272_large.jpg
    VS
    [​IMG]
    Just gotta shorten that cable even more!

BTW, the Octabvre doesn't actually have Tim Lefebvre's name on it, sure he had input on it and the name of the pedal apes his name, but it doesn't actually have his "sig" on it – so IMO you could still rock it if it suits your needs and still maintain your "no artist names on pedals" ethos. :D

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I know it doesn't but it#s name is close enough.
    Yes, I guess I could still use it but 'luckily' it's not quite what I'm after. ;)

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    DANG! I should NOT have watched that video...that Cog sounds amazing

TG Flatline likes this.
  12. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Looks like COG have a little 10% sale going on with free international shipping ;)

COG Effects

Si

blindrabbit and TG Flatline like this.
  13. Thanks! Ordered!

14. Damn almost got me but nope! drool

15. Mike_1978

Mike_1978

May 14, 2015
    Boston area
    I'll echo the comments that this was a great demo/comparison, thank you!

To me the Cog was the best of the 3. OC-2 didn't sound quite as strong on the lowest notes, and I liked the filter knob on the T16.
    Pog was cool but sounds more like a natural bass tone an octave lower while the analog pedals are more synthy.

I'm looking for an octave so I'll add this to the list of things to consider along with the MXR and the Octabvre. Although the old DOD I have now is actually pretty good too!

kcole4001 likes this.
  16. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    blindrabbit likes this.
  17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    OC-2 is darn good, but I am partial to the T-16.
    Sounds a bit more full to me on the octave, though I'm sure the OC-2 is easy to find relatively cheap.

The sound and the size clinch the deal for me.
    I'll be getting some good use out of that tiny pedal!

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    My comparison of the T16 against my 3Leaf Octabvre and POG2:

T16 has more sub-like low end, definitely. I couldn't get the filter knob to dial in the magical OC2 goodness though, which I can find on my 3Leaf. The POG2 has the same amount of sub like lows as the T16 which is pretty cool for an analog octaver to match a digital one.

The "synth/fuzz" side of the T16 filter is pretty mellow when compared to that side of my 3Leaf as well, it doesn't get as crazy and reacts well to your playing attack.

In the end, I like the OC2 magic more than I like the sub lows from the T16 (plus I already have the POG2 that can do that), so I'm keeping my 3Leaf and flipping the T16 to someone else.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. MAN did I miss out. That all happened too fast, I was out buying new reference speakers or something... Congrats on whoever got bassvirtuoso's T16.
    DD?

blindrabbit and bassvirtuoso like this.
  20. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Oh yeah, it was Duke.

blindrabbit likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021