Boss OC-2 vs. MXR Vintage Bass Octave with recordings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 30, 2019.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Jimmy, sorry one more question... more specifically re. placement, have you found there to be any benefit placing HPF before octave to improve tracking? Same question re. compression.
    Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I did try it with compression once, and it worked way better for me before the compression. But I don't use compression so I don't worry about it. As for the hpf, I have always had to keep my hpf last in the chain because of the way I have my board setup to double on upright and Electric. If it's not last, one of them won't get the hpf. I haven't tried it in front of the OC 2 or vbo. I don't know if it would help or not.

NKBassman likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Not to worry. Apple has got a hair across its tail about a lot of things when it comes to what will work with iOS. It breaks userspace at least every ten days. I wind up updating 40 apps every other week or so because of what they’re tinkering with.

I’ll just wait till I get home and listen on my laptop. I run Linux on that and everything just works. :)

JimmyM likes this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I love my oc2 so much but the lack of headroom drives me crazy. This new pedal is a no brainer for me. Smaller plus more headroom is the perfect combo.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Isn't poop brown necessary for the "brown note"? :D

JimmyM, NKBassman and Robertron like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't do brown notes. Lightly toasted at best.

ahc likes this.
  7. RudyTardy

RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jimmy did you also try the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe? I’ve been able to get spot on OC2 with it between the two different tone knobs.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have tried it and it's excellent, and used to have a Sub Octave Bass Fuzz that had the growl knob from the BOD that was very cool as well. But none of them ever gave me a reason to replace my OC-2 and part with my cash till the VBO. Didn't know you could blend the two to make it sound like an OC-2, though. Still, I'm not going to worry about it. The VBO is tiny and sounds like the OC-2 so it's all good.

NKBassman likes this.
  9. marmadaddy

marmadaddy Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Agreed there's no difference in the sound. The small form factor and additional gain make it the clear winner.

About the HPF question, to me putting it before the octaver defeats the purpose of the HPF.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    Okay, just bought one on Reverb, thanks Jimmy!

JimmyM and NKBassman like this.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Only wine taster snob thing I'm probably imagining is the glitches on the oc2 seem more "pleasurable" to the ear.

I must be really getting old ......I wouldn't tell the difference in a/b test and in a mix.....pffff.... zero difference

jam.majors, JimmyM and NKBassman like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You may be right about the glitches, but it's definitely harder to make the VBO glitch.

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I just had another listen to the tracks and played with them a little more, and now I think that when they glitch, they glitch with about the same basic sound, too. If there is a difference, I think it's extremely slight.

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Confirmed.... I'm nuts.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nobody would ever say that to your face :D

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I would.

:p

Keyser Soze and JimmyM like this.
  17. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I think they can be made to sound very similar, and this clip show that. But I think the MXR has a little more high-fi sound to it or presence in spots.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Thx for doing this Jimmy! I will listen to these through decent headphones when I'm home.

Now an A/B test w/ the mxr vs the cog, anyone?

JimmyM likes this.
  19. It would be hilarious if both would be recorded using the same pedal; to point out people hearing a difference :D

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh I'm sure I could have easily gotten away with it :D But nope, I was legit about it.

NKBassman and Kerem Koseoglu like this.