Boss OC-2 vs. MXR Vintage Bass Octave with recordings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Now a serious question: In the former version of MXR BOD, there was a noticeable glitch when I was playing 8th note pairs in octave (like in Muse - Uprising). The glitch was very obvious on the G string (not due to dead notes). The same riffs went flawless on OC-2.

Do you sense / hear such a difference, @JimmyM ?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Very glad you asked about that, Kerem. I just played Uprising on both of them, and I finally ran into that headroom issue people have mentioned about the OC-2. Occasionally it would clip and make a loud burst that sounded like it had a loose wire connection. But I had no such issue with the VBO. Tracking was pretty much flawless with the VBO. No glitching, no clipping.

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I should add to my last post that people, of course, have different playing styles, different basses, etc., and what works for me may not work for someone else and vice versa.

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Guy talks too much , so I don't really watch his videos much anymore.:ninja:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not me...I just skip the parts where he gets into talking too much. He's always showing some new effect that's way cool, and if I don't watch his vids, I start to feel like I might miss something I can really use.

cnltb likes this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I very much agree and the times when I see him do something interesting(based on the title) I tend to do much the same - I just did with the Malekko downer, which he also talks about in the video you posted.
    Downer too , seems to be a cool pedal!

That said...all that skipping around a video just to find the relevan section, does tend to get a tiring.

I wish he did what one sees with concert videos where in the description you have a key with links to the particular spots in the video. OYu click the link and end up at the song(or in this case pedal) you want to hear.
    That'd be cool.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JimmyM likes this.
  7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Ok....now I want the mxr......I use my oc2 heavily.....anyone wanna trade ...

:(

JimmyM likes this.
  8. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Is there any way to tell if I have one of the early units? I bought one, based off Juan's video, but mine seems to be much more 'harsh' than my OC-2, and I think I'm getting the artifacts you mentioned @JimmyM .

As far as headroom is concerned, I modded my OC-2, by removing the (useless) Oct2, which made the Dry and Oct1 louder. I also rehoused it and added a footswitch to remove the dry signal, to get nothing but the tasty Oct1 goodness, solo.

I really wanted to like the VBO, as it would've given me some much needed space on my board, but I much prefer the OC-2.

9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Seriously.....do you have the schematics of this????

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't know, but I imagine you probably do have an early one. The MXR rep posted that if you have one that's got the artifacts, you can contact him, send it to them and he'll have it fixed for free. His name is Darryl Anders, and his email is [email protected] .

kranahan, NicJimBass and NKBassman like this.
  11. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I don't, but the mods are really simple, if you've ever messed with such things before.

I removed the Oct2 pot altogether. I originally removed one of the jumpers on the pot, when it was still in it's original housing, and that was enough to give the other 2 a boost. When I rehoused it, I took the pot out, with no ill effects.

I did a similar thing with the Dry signal... one jumper from the pot goes to a footwitch, then back to the PC board, so it just removes that signal altogether. I don't have my pedalboard with me, but I can bring it home this weekend, and try to write up a schematic, if I think about it.

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  12. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Just sent him an email. Thanks!!

JimmyM likes this.
  13. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    That's awesome I really didn't know MXR customer service was on that level. Good on them!
    I might have to find another MXR pedal to buy/reason to give them some more money.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Awesomeness

15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Just listened to the samples. The sound very slightly different. The OC-2 sounded juuuust a touch more synthier to my ears, maybe I'm hearing more of the 5th note added or something, I don't know. I doubt I'd hear the difference in a mix. I'm keeping my OC2 on my small board.

For my bigger board though, I'll either get the MXR and the COG T16 or the COG T-47. Again an A/B shootout in between the MXR vintage bass octave and the COG T16 is what I'm looking for.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks for posting these down and dirty comparisons. I'm rather quickly coming to the realization that an octave pedal isn't something that's imperative to the music that my bands make, but I'm not done experimenting with different sounds on my own time :)

MYLOWFREQ and JimmyM like this.
  17. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    Jimmy- They are close, but the OC-2 had just a little more mojo in my headphones. That's the problem sampling stuff like this, you got have high end speakers or phones. A little more bu-ti shake with the OC-2. Been thinking about one of these ????

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Weird. I do have good headphones, plus I've listened to them through a couple different nice amps now, and if it weren't for the better tracking on the VBO, I couldn't tell a difference. But if that's your opinion, that's your opinion.

19. @JimmyM ; following your advice and recording, I took the time to compare my trusted old OC-2 and a VBO side by side. Summary: OC-2 wins for me.

To my (subjective) ears, VBO Oct.1 is voiced like the Growl part of MXR BOD; because I experienced the same difficulties - which are:
    • On fast runs on thinner strings (D / G), VBO catches up only after a brief but noticeable latency. This issue causes lots of unwanted glitchy artifacts. When I play the same on the OC-2, it behaves perfectly.
    • VBO seems to be more bottom-heavy, where OC-2 sounds cleaner and more "raw-open-synthy" (for lack of a better term)
    To be fair; if I play slowly with a sterile-level clean technique, I can make them sound similar - especially if I get some EQ help. However; I (personally) can't play that sterile all the time. For example;

I tried to play that song on the VBO. Because I need to play fast octaves between A + G strings; the VBO glitched like crazy on the G string - despite my best efforts; involving a string mute to stop ringing idle strings and using my fingers like hooks, without touching any other string.

When I switched to OC-2 and played the same song, it behaved perfectly - despite my intentional sloppier playing. I don't know how; it almost sounds like OC-2 picks the loudest sound and ignores the weaker ones (finger noise, ghost note, etc).

Verdict: Despite the size and mid-boost advantages of VBO, OC-2 seems to defend his title and pedalboard space at this time.

JimmyM and Bboopbennie like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Gotta go with what works for you, no doubt.

Tad, cnltb and Kerem Koseoglu like this.