Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss OC-3 Super Octaver.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8inbassist17, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Well i might want this pedal for an xmas gift from my mother.
    i was wondering if its world her spending $119.00 usa.

i have heard mixed comments about it.

could anyone post recordings of it on a bass with the drive mode on.

thanks in advance.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The drive mod is pretty much crap. I like the octave functions tho. It's a pedal that you really really have to play with tho. lots of tweaking :)

3. i play stuff like audioslave red hot chilipeppers, ratm, tool, and soundgarden.

would it be useful for that.

4. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Yeah, i have been looking at this pedal.

Is there a similarly priced alternative that any of you have any good experience with?

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I just picked one up...still haven't made up my mind if I'm gonna keep it. It does take a lot of tweaking but I've gotten pretty good results so far. The tracking is pretty good, when I get lower than a C on the A string it does break up a bit but after hearing a lot of people speak of octave units...this is to be expected.

I don't think it's a bad unit, but it hasn't struck me as a must-have either. I'll probably keep it, but continue to look for something better.

6. Tracking is improved if you precede it with a compressor.

I don't personally use the drive mode, because switching between it and the polyphonic mode requires tweaking all the knobs. That and I don't have much use for that sound, so I can't say if it would please others.

Mostly the pedal is good for the polyphonic mode, which tracks well and also tracks double stops or times when you have multiple strings ringing.

It does take some time to get the right balance between the clean and octave sounds in a band context.

I believe some folks here have touted the digitech bass synth wah as a sustitute - I haven't used it so I can't say.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. It's a fairly cheezy distortion-/synth-sound, but it tracks great. I actaully DO like the sound, though. I've only played with one a couple times in a music store, and I don't remember if it had a 'blend' control for mixing-in clean - if not, that would be a definate point against it for me. I spent most of my demo-time being amazed at how well it tracked; I was triying to 'fool' it, and even when I did (like with double-stops), it was cool-sounding AND repeatable!

It has several different modes for different sounds; I only messed with the one 'octave-fuzz' or whatever sound.

Actually, that's about the last thing I have to look into - if it has blend, I'm gonna BUY one!

Joe