1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss OC-3 vs. EH Octave Multiplexer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BornboreD, Jul 25, 2007.

1. I'm interested in getting an Octave pedal to add to my effects chain. It's primary use will be to help fatten up the sound of an Overdriven and/or fuzzed out bass tone.

I'm looking more so for the opinions of those who have actually A/D'd these two pedals against eachother. What are the pros/cons for each one?? How well and how low will both track?? Did one handle the distorted signal better than the other??

I am unable to physically A/B these two pedals, and would really like the help of the forum to aid in my decision.

Thanks...

P.S. Would either of these have a hard time tracking an overdriven tone if placed after a chorus?? Such as the CEB-3?? Anyone tried it?? I'm basically looking to phatten up a distorted bass tone as much as possible whilest only using one amp...Thanks again.

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Haven't used either, but octavers usually work best first in the chain.

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I recently picked up an OC-3 to give it a shot. It's pretty bad. I also have a POG, and that is a wonder!
    I'm honestly not sure how Boss can call this a pedal for bass - it has a dedicated bass input.
    I haven't tried it yet with a guitar; perhaps it shines in that use.
    Anyhow, it's going to go bye-bye pretty soon.
    POG Rules!

4. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yup, early in the chain usually works better... but unless the distortion kills lows an octave into it should fatten it up pretty well if run first.

I have used both a while ago, and found the multiplexer difficult to tame, but that might've been the unit as 'Boo's reviews (and a few others) of the new one make it sound pretty straightforward. The boss is easy to use, but the octave tone isn't necessarily natural sounding and can sound "synthy" when run before a distortion (depending on the distortion). After a distortion, it will get glitchy on the octave tone.

Edit... sorry, its late and I thought it said OC-2 up there. thats what my comments on the boss apply too.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got a Boss OC-3 and I have to say that it's not so great for bass, unless you like playing higher up on the neck. Tracking below the open A-string sounds like poop to me. Sounded pretty good when my gui**** friend used it though. :meh:

6. Thanks for the repsonse!! Anyone else have an opinion they'd like to share??

7. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    it took me a year, and a few dusting offs of the EHX Octave multiplexer before i could get it to track low and be fun to use, and at 80% volume (thanks to a fellow Tb'er) it tracks down to my low E. but i find that the pitch shifts ever so slightly when i play sustained notes, but i am not sure if this is common, or just the pedal (or bassist :p) I really want the POG.