1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

boss oc2..taiwan vs. japan

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by punkjazz1, Nov 12, 2010.

1. punkjazz1

punkjazz1

Apr 18, 2010
    im looking to pick up an octave pedal and i keep seeing the boss oc2 on evilbay and some say mij and mit....is there a diff between these two?

thx for zee helps

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yep...the japanese is called an "octaver" and the taiwanese is called an "octave." plus the taiwanese is cheaper and doesn't have as many adapter issues as the japanese model.

3. No difference in sound - I've had both. The price differences are purely collector silliness.

And I admit that if I ever sell my Japanese OC-2 (one of the earlier ones with the Octaver name) I'll exploit the silliness and charge a premium...

4. punkjazz1

punkjazz1

Apr 18, 2010
    cool, thx a bunch

5. punkjazz1

punkjazz1

Apr 18, 2010
    just bought the taiwan one for $80 on ebay!

6. You won't regret it's a great pedal.

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    oof, you could have had my MIJ Octave"r" last week on there for less....no one bid so I had to re-list it :meh:

8. punkjazz1

punkjazz1

Apr 18, 2010
    uurrgghhh

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    That's the same price I got my MIJ Octaver for. I win.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    FWIW, I've found the tracking to be different from unit to unit. The two best tracking OC-2s that I've played were MIT. The worst were MIJ.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    :)

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:D

I actually could care less if mines MIJ-MIT. I'm not a collector. In fact I think it would be cool to remove the OCT 2 function and work a fuzz or bit crusher into the circuit.

Yes yes I stole the idea out of a thread on a forum somewhere but I would mod a Japanese OC-2 as quickly as I would mod a Taiwanese one.

12. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    My OC-2/MIJ issues ould have been ACA/PSA related or they could have just been dogged over the years since they were older. I wouldn't kick *any* OC-2 off my pedalboard.