1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

boss OC2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bearpaw, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    hey guys,

yesterday i did some recording because i had my boss oc2 - octaver under suspect to suck tone as hell when it is turned off. as removing it from my fx-case earlier helped the most for the signal.
    so i went straight into my interface and recorded one track only with my bass and one with a switched off oc2 and i can only say it is incredible how much the tone suffers from this unit. all the fatness of my precision bass was gone.
    is it possible that this is a problem of my very unit or do some of you guys have similar problems? i really hate this, because i feel that the oc2 is essential. i'll try to find out if the oc3 has the same problem.

thx for help, peter

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not quite a fair test if you were using a passive bass and the input impedance of your interface is different to the input impedance of the pedal. Most audio interfaces don't have a very high impedance so roll off the highs due to loading the pickups, whereas a typical buffered pedal has a high impedance designed to be connected to guitar pickups. Even my Mackie Onyx Satellite interface that has a guitar input sounds dull as hell plugged straight in, but put a DI box or buffered pedal inbetween and it's much brighter. Have you tried the same test using your bass amp intead of the interface?

I'm not saying the OC-2 doesn't have a sucky bypass (it may well do, I've not really done any bypass A/B testing with mine). If it does it's probably the same deal with the OC-3. If it does bother you though, either look at a true bypass loop or the new version of the EBS Octabass or the new MXR Bass Octave Deluxe which both have true bypass.

3. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    yeah, that's a good point... still i have to say, i made this test over my amp too and it was pretty much the same result. i do use a true bypass vox as a looper. so i either play clean bass without signal loss or i incorporate the fx loop. well, and on the occasions where i use other effects than the oc2, the low end is very diminished.

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it certainly isint true bypass, but ive never thought of an OC-2 to have a huge bypass problem..

+1 try it into a DI

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Or get a bypass looper if its bad enough.....

6. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I don't know why but I made a comparission between having it bypassed and with clean signal 100% oc1 oc2 0% and I notice it has more volume when engaged, why is that??

7. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    when making that comparison, i realized that it not only takes away a little low end but also adds treble. i felt it really makes your bass a whole lot more metallic sounding, but in a weird way - like a cheap digital EQ. but that's why it might appear to be louder.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1.