Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS Octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Barfly, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I just picked one up tonight and am messing around with it.
    Pretty cool effect for high neck position/1st and 2nd string stuff. I like the way it fattens up the sound, although it can get a bit muddy down low.

Anyone have one?
    What are your personal settings, and what songs do you incorporate this pedal into?

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Anyone?

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I was in a band that played a rather peculiar blend of classic '60's-style pop and modern techno and my Boss Octaver came in really handy for getting a more synthlike bass sound. My favorite settings are: Oct 1 and Direct set at 2 or 3 o'clock with Oct 2 off for fattening up lines and deepening high register parts; and Oct 2 up all the way with Dir and Oct 1 off, for more of a deep synth throb. Used in conjunction with a Boss Flanger (probably the weirdest pedal Boss has made, not mild-mannered like many of their effects) and an Electro-Harmonix BassBalls, I can get some pretty strange tones that inspire me to play in new and different ways.

4. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    What does the Octaver sound best with?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My favorite setting is the 'Pino Palladino' setting:

OCT 2: 8 o'clock (turned off)

OCT 1 and Direct Level: both at 2 o'clock

Putting a compressor before the OC-2 is a good way to improve tracking and sound.

It's agreat little pedal. Though the EBS Octabass has better tracking, it doesn't sound as good as the BOSS OC-2 IMO.