1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss ODB-3 / MXR Distortion + / Marshall Guv'nor GV-2 / Effects Loop Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a distortion pedal, I have the ODB-3 already as well as a new 105Q. I like the 105Q, good wah, but the ODB-3 is a bit too "trebly" if you know what I mean. It sounds like a lot of high end crunch. I think I want a distortion that you get when you plug into your average guitar amp with a bass, and turn the gain channel on. It seems to distort the mids.

With the 105Q used, when I am using the wah there is a trebly layer of distortion almost behind the wah sound? It sounds a bit dodgy. So, the above pedals in the title (along with a Big Muff Pi etc) are the only ones available here. Which would you recommend? I might have to order sight unseen.

Also, with the effects loop... I have a Laney R3, good amp. But when I put the ODB3 and 105Q through effects loop, the distortion level varies on how high the amp is? Why is this? And why use the effect loop? Can't I just go Bass > Effects > Amp?

Thanks

2. High-end crunch? Sounds like high-end fizzle to me....talkng about the ODB-3

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I liked the ODB-3 because the high gain fuzz whilst keeping the bottom end intact was what I was after.

However I have decided to downsize my effects to the point now that I've sold them all, and am getting a MXR M80. I decided that distortion was what I used most, and most of my gigs I go to the PA so this does all I need, or I hope it will. I’ll let you know after I’ve had it a few days.

4. Theres a big difference between the GV2 and the muff. The muff, is a fuzz. So its like, urm.. insane super fast distortion. Where as the GV2 is an overdrive/distortion. Keeps the low really well, almosts boosts it. The setting i use on it make a really chunky od/distortion. Cranking the gain will give you a more full fuzzed out distortion. But personally, i love the chunk!

Just go and try them all out until you find YOUR sound.

5. Yeah thats what I meant.

Sounds like I should try the MXR and GV-2... I might sell the ODB-3

6. And i also run all my effects like bass>>fx>>amp
    I like the idea of my tone traveling throught less noise making things and cables when possible.
    And im not sure about wether effects sends are pre or post EQ. So i like to run things this way

7. Alright - i have both the ODB3 AND the 105Q - and guess what - I use a Big Muff Pi (black russian) too.
    Signal chain;
    Bass - EQ pedal - ODB3 - 105Q - Muff - Chorus/tuner/etc...
    no effects loop. I've always found them to be a pain in the neck.

I only use the ODB-3 for a very light fuzz/gain type sound to go with the wah, and the usually leave it on. I then use the muff over the top of the odb3 for an overkill distorted-fuzz sound. :bassist:
    The Big muff is my fave pedal - fo' sho' ! But it is rather limited.
    My advice would be to try out the EH English Muff'n, while you're looking........

I haven't had any prob's with the odb-3 being too trebley - maybe try backing off the high freq's? and boosting the lows? The only thing I find the odb-3 lacks is good mids - but any good EQ will fix that to a degree.