Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ODB-3 / MXR Distortion + / Marshall Guv'nor GV-2 / Effects Loop Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a distortion pedal, I have the ODB-3 already as well as a new 105Q. I like the 105Q, good wah, but the ODB-3 is a bit too "trebly" if you know what I mean. It sounds like a lot of high end crunch. I think I want a distortion that you get when you plug into your average guitar amp with a bass, and turn the gain channel on. It seems to distort the mids.

With the 105Q used, when I am using the wah there is a trebly layer of distortion almost behind the wah sound? It sounds a bit dodgy. So, the above pedals in the title (along with a Big Muff Pi etc) are the only ones available here. Which would you recommend? I might have to order sight unseen.

Also, with the effects loop... I have a Laney R3, good amp. But when I put the ODB3 and 105Q through effects loop, the distortion level varies on how high the amp is? Why is this? And why use the effect loop? Can't I just go Bass > Effects > Amp?

Thanks

2. High-end crunch? Sounds like high-end fizzle to me....talkng about the ODB-3

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I liked the ODB-3 because the high gain fuzz whilst keeping the bottom end intact was what I was after.

However I have decided to downsize my effects to the point now that I've sold them all, and am getting a MXR M80. I decided that distortion was what I used most, and most of my gigs I go to the PA so this does all I need, or I hope it will. I’ll let you know after I’ve had it a few days.

4. Theres a big difference between the GV2 and the muff. The muff, is a fuzz. So its like, urm.. insane super fast distortion. Where as the GV2 is an overdrive/distortion. Keeps the low really well, almosts boosts it. The setting i use on it make a really chunky od/distortion. Cranking the gain will give you a more full fuzzed out distortion. But personally, i love the chunk!

Just go and try them all out until you find YOUR sound.

5. Yeah thats what I meant.

Sounds like I should try the MXR and GV-2... I might sell the ODB-3

6. And i also run all my effects like bass>>fx>>amp
    I like the idea of my tone traveling throught less noise making things and cables when possible.
    And im not sure about wether effects sends are pre or post EQ. So i like to run things this way

7. Alright - i have both the ODB3 AND the 105Q - and guess what - I use a Big Muff Pi (black russian) too.
    Signal chain;
    Bass - EQ pedal - ODB3 - 105Q - Muff - Chorus/tuner/etc...
    no effects loop. I've always found them to be a pain in the neck.

I only use the ODB-3 for a very light fuzz/gain type sound to go with the wah, and the usually leave it on. I then use the muff over the top of the odb3 for an overkill distorted-fuzz sound. :bassist:
    The Big muff is my fave pedal - fo' sho' ! But it is rather limited.
    My advice would be to try out the EH English Muff'n, while you're looking........

I haven't had any prob's with the odb-3 being too trebley - maybe try backing off the high freq's? and boosting the lows? The only thing I find the odb-3 lacks is good mids - but any good EQ will fix that to a degree.