Boss ODB-3 Noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by srxplayer, Mar 8, 2006.

1. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I checked the search feature but nothing really came up on this. Other than the usual "it's great" / " its a piece of crap comments".

I needed more distortion sound than my Sansamp could deliver for some stuff that we plan on doing at my church. I went looking for a distortion pedal and ended up buying an Boss ODB-3. I would have bought another Ibanez PD7 but GC does not stock them so this is what I came home with. I rarely need distortion and my Sansamp provides enough overdrive to keep me happy so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a distortion pedal.

When I pluged it in to my Behringer practice amp in my bedroom I noticed it added a bunch of noise to my signal. It bothered me but I figured it's plugged in to a crappy amp so I really didn't worry much about it.

I took it to church last night and ran it into the chain of effects that I use on my Ampeg BA115HP. (TU-2 + Sansamp + CEB-3 + ODB3 )Even more noise / hiss and it's all over the church through the mains. I turned down the hi freq on the pedal and some of the noise went away but it's still there. I then removed the Sansamp from the chain, nothing. Then I switched the chorus pedal and the ODB-3 and still no improvement.

After rehearsal I ran it into my Peavey that has an effects loop. A 115 combo with a TVX210 cabinet. Same thing...

Is this an inherently noisy pedal? Do I just have a bad one? I have never used anything that has added more noise to my signal chain than this thing. The hiss is driving me crazy and I'm considering returning it. Anyone else experienced this with a Boss ODB-3?

I used to have an Ibanez PD7 that I thought was a little noisy but it was quiet compared to this thing.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nevermind... I just found the distortion megathread.:confused:

Not sure how I missed that:rollno:
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

It just is...

Let me first say that I'm a big fan of the ODB-3 - so much so, that I doubled my investment by also purchasing an NS-2 noise suppressor. This completely took care of the problem; I essentially have zero noise now.

I should say that I always run an Aphex Xciter before the ODB. I consider this mandatory for my killer hi-gain distortion sound. I also always run a CS-3 compressor before it, but this is not necessary, I just always run compression full-time; I wouldn't need to run it with the ODB, though. So in-reality, I spent $230 more (actually, now you can buy Xciters for $99; I believe back when I bought mine they were $139) to get my $80 distortion to sound like I wanted it to sound (not-including the CS-3). But still: I can't find a sound that I like better! Note also that both the Compressor AND the Xciter INCREASE THE NOISE! The NS-2 completely takes care of this, though.

I've shopped and tried many distortions, and I own and use another that I love - the GK Deisel Dawg. BUT: I use the D.D. for natural light overdrive; I haven't found a better heavy-distortion sound than my ODB-3 set Output=9:30, Lows=1:00, Highs=11:00, Balance=9:30, Gain=2:00 - this is with the Aphex Xciter just before it, set 5.5, 7.5, 6.5, 8.5.

Now that I look-back at what-all I just wrote - glowing compliments and all... Maybe you should return it!