1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ODB-3 or effect simulation in Zoom B3n

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aurresku, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Aurresku

Aurresku

Mar 8, 2017
    Bilbao
    Hello, I am a happy owner of Zoom B3n multi-effects processor.

I have the choice of buying one Boss ODB-3 pedal. This week i'm going to try it, but i have little experience as bassist and i don't know if the boss is really better of what i can get with any drive simulation effect of my zoom.

Could anyone help me in my decission?

Thanks!!

2. I had a Boss ODB-3 once. From what I hear, the simulation on the Zoom should be very similar to the original.

Aurresku and ppiluk like this.
  3. I have the Zoom B3n and the built-in effects are excellent and for the most part, provide you with as good results as separate pedals. Personally, I think the drive pedals built into the Zoom are more than sufficient for just about anything I would need and I suspect it will be enough for you too.

However, I think it doesn't hurt to play around with other pedals. The BOSS OBD-3 is an analogue pedal so it will likely respond differently than the digital B3n but don't be surprised if you can't hear much of a difference between the OBD-3 and the B3n's builtin counterpart. My suggestion is if you have the cash and want to buy it, buy it.

Aurresku likes this.
  4. The ODB3 model on the Zoom B3 or MS60B does the trick well enough I do not consider replacing my dead oldie.

Aurresku and ppiluk like this.
  5. Aurresku

Aurresku

Mar 8, 2017
    Bilbao
    Thanks for your answers!! Very helpful.

6. In my opinion the BOSS ODB-3 is garbage.

The B3N actually has some stellar overdrive and distortion models that are far superior to the boss, and their model of it.

7. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    The ODB3 is probably the last bass dirt pedal I would want to emulate, but I guess it works for some, and others just don't know any better.

Aurresku and Inconnu like this.
  8. Aurresku

Aurresku

Mar 8, 2017
    Bilbao
    Yesterday evening I gave a try the boss pedal with my band and i agree with all of you. Probably I can get very similar effects with the models in my dear zoom b3n, and probably the boss is very far from being the best overdrive pedal.

Anyway ...

What I found yesterday playing with zoom + boss was a bit more flexibility and a bit easier to use the pedals for getting the sound I'm looking for. The zoom is a very confortable machine but it's real that you have to be "concentrate" when you push the different foot-switches (or at least I have to). Buying the boss was very easy for me (one band-mate took it, very well conservated and good price) so I will give a chance to the boss odb-3.

Thanks all of you for your help.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    ppiluk likes this.
  9. iSteen

iSteen

Mar 29, 2012
    Denmark
    I really like that ODB-patch in the B3n. I think it's a Boss ODB3 into an Ampeg SVT simulation.
    Sounds good to me

ppiluk likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020