Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ODB-3 or Ibanez Phat Head?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    I was thinking about buying a bass overdrive... I just can´t make my mind about wich one would be better... What do you guys think?

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey Psycho,

I can not speak for Ibanez Phathead but I heard lots of good things about this unit.

I own a BOSS ODB-3 Bass overdrive and completely satisfied with the sound I got from it especially with my Rickenbacker. I use very little distortion on most of the songs I play now and I love the sound. It`s BOSS so you know it`s good quality.

Good luck.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i still think that the eh big muff is great with the bass, try one!

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Which Big Muff?There's two different models right?

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    The BIG MUFF is a great distorion box but it'll suck your tone.
    It's got the be the BOSS ODB3, the balance knob allows you to keep the original bass signal, turn the gain up high for some excellent overdrive sounds.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've used the ODB-3 and it revealed completely useless to me.
    This pedal is good to get guitar-like sounds and heavy bass-synths lows, that's it.

I really prefer the PD-7. A lot more veratility, you can get light crunch or bluesy OD, fuzzy lows, ...

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What's the PD-7?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    >What's the PD-7?

Ibanez Phat-Hed PD7 Bass Overdrive. It's a great value for money pedal, you can adjust the bass + treble so you can choose your own output sound.
    It has od/dist modes, though in my experience it's a better distortion than an overdrive. I remember not being able to get a mild overdrive sound I was completely happy with.

For $80 new, I don't think you can do much better. Certainly not the misnamed Boss Bass Overdrive, which is really a distortion / fuzz.

I used one until I decided to move up and use an EBS multidrive for OD and a Frantone Lo-Tone for fuzz.

9. Just got a Fulltone Bassdrive a cupla weeks ago and I'm loving it. I had a Big Muff PI, great fuzz tone but it rilly does suck out all the punch and low end. I've also used a Boss ODB-3 for years and been searching for a replacement for it for just as long. The distortion is crap but the blend knob has been a redeeming feature.
    Until now, get a Fulltone Bassdrive, you'll love it. Great warm overdrive and tons of signal boost if you want it, almost too much for my amp even at middle settings. Keeps all the punch and low end clarity plus adds some attack even without much overdrive on. It's even got two overdrives for two stages of attack.

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I own a Boss ODB-3 that I got used along with my bass - I've never been too excited about the sounds I get from it, but I did recently discover that if I use it for some fairly light OD along with some chorus that I like that sound.
    Now what is this blend control some seem to be speaking of on the Boss ODB-3? I believe mine has: Level, hi/lo EQ, Over Drive (wet/dry) and Gain. Could somebody that likes thier ODB-3 sound please post some sample settings?

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The blend IS the wet/dry... blends effected signal with straight signal from the bass.

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    get a Fulltone Bassdrive, you'll love it. Resoundingly!

13. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I've tried all sorts of settings but have recently realised that you have to keep the gain high to get the best out of it. As someone else has said the balance knob is the redeeming feature on this pedal. Because you are keeping some of the original bass signal I don't mess with the EQ very much.

What sounds good when you play solo won't necessarily cut the mix when the band are playing. For that reason I use the following settings:

I love the sound Colin Greenwood gets on the 'OK Computer' CD on songs like 'Exit Music' and 'Climbing Up The Walls'. I know he doesn't use a BOSS but I use the following settings to get something similar:

EQ's 12:00 (Maybe add a little treble to cut through the mix, and cut the bass if it booms a little.)
    Balance 12:00
    Gain: MAX

Adjust the levels with your original bass sound. For a milder OD sound just back the GAIN to 12:00.

Remember to try it in the mix with the band, playing on your own you'll never get it right.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Fulltone will beat any other pedal I've heard, but it costs a lot.

15. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Budda Phatbass is the best O/D pedal IMO, but its very expensive.

16. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    I have a Boss ODB3 and the only tones I can get out of are deep dirty metal and high tinny metal. I ended up getting a DOD Bass30 and it works great for just about everything.

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    another vote for the Fulltone Bassdrive. I used to own a Boss ODB3 and it was very industrial distortion sounding. It is not an overdrive.

The Fulltone is definately worth the money (~$175 new, but cheaper on the used market if you look around). You can get mild overdrive to heavy fuzz with different settings. Plus it's true bypass :cool:

-KB