Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ODB-3 or Rust Ride?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metalguy2, Jun 2, 2005.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am looking to add overdrive to my sound. And I am not sure what route I should go. The tone for the Boss pedal with the drive setting on minimal is the tone I am really looking for. But due to reliability issues, I am forced to look elsewhere. The question is. Will a rust ride or a sansamp get the same tone as the boss overdrive. Or should I just go ahead and get the cheaper boss pedal. :confused: Thanks guys.

2. i have the odb-3. what you'll probably notice it is that the pedal doesn't have much more thickness in drive from above 1/4 position on the blend knob. most of your tone will come from the eq knobs, and teh gain. the volume does have a bit of effect because it's pushing your amp a little harder in certain positions, but otherwise not much. i like my pedal even if it is kinda noisy

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well I think the Boss is junk so I'll leave it at that.

My Rust Ride is a very good pedal. Good battery life, pretty low noise in the Normal and Warm settings (roll the tone control on your bass rolled off there is virtually none). The bright setting might be the closest to what I remember the Boss sounding like. Maybe the Bright setting combined with pick playing.

The overall sound of a Rust Ride does a good "SVT cranked to 11" type tone. The only subtle setting is the Warm setting, the other two are balls to the wall, with the Bright setting simply having more treble than the Normal setting.

That said, alot of people hate this pedal. I would try before you buy it. Or purchase from a place that allows returns.

Good luck,
    Adam

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Are you saying that you've had issues with the Boss? I've never had a reliability issue with any Boss pedal I've ever owned. YMMV, but those pedals are built pretty tough. The Rust Ride, OTOH, has that little 3-way switch that I'd be afraid to break...

I don't have any experience with the RR, but I'm interested in it as well. I'm not a big fan of my ODB-3. :meh:

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My distortion stopped working on my Boss after about a month. It still boosts the signal but it doesn;t give me anything else.

I didn't like it anyhow and I liked my Big Muff a lot more for my Fuzz/Dist.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Rust Ride, is by far the superior OD in this battle. IMO. I had an odb3 and hated it...but there are alot of people who like them. I just found it to be noisy and useless.

7. +1...i also used to own the odb-3, i detested it w/ every cell in my loathesome body...i now own a rust ride and a homebrew electronics big-d, and theyre phenominal...the big d on its own retains more low end than the rust ride (very audibly), but the rust ride DOES have that direct out...i use a 2-3 amp setup regardless, so i always have clean bottom...the rust ride is great, but a bit muddy on the warm setting, and the big d is SUPER versatile, i cant speak enough good of either of the 2

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Its hard to compare these pedals. They're in two totally different leauges. The only thing the odb3 offers that the rust ride doesnt is an adjustable eq. The rust ride has 3 presets, active/passive inputs, and you wont lose much low-end. Which was a big problem w/ my odb3. Plus i think it's true bypass...i could be wrong on this though.

I settled on a fulltone bass-drive. I love that pedal! it provides incredible sustain, thick warm overdrive, adjustable eq, compression (which i dont use on this pedal), and a boost channel.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I've had an odb-3 for 3 years and a double muff for a while and i've hated both of them at different times for different reasons. but that usually passes and if i could without looking weird, i would hug them. U just need to find the righ spot in your rig for them. I find that if i boost the lows on the odb and stay conservative with the other settnigs, its a very nice thick fuzz. i use the double muff more for a grinding od.

it's all about taste kids.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I had an ODB3 & sold it on ebay...the distortion I got out of it was just to shreddy & "industrial" for my tastes.

Fulltone Bassdrive baby, worth every penny.

11. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If you want a grindy sound in a reliable package, Spend $120 on a Voodoo labs sparkle overdrive. Period.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Can anybody compare the Rust Ride to the Fulltone Bassdriver and/or Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive? I would like to try it, but there is nobody near by who sells it :( I wouldn't want to buy it and find out it is just another modded tubescreamer.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well, I do know that Sparkle Drive is a tubescreamer clone. I might have heard the same about the Fulltone, but I'm not sure.

If I were you, I would buy from a online company with a 7 day return policy to see if the pedal suits you. If not return it and get something that you like better.

14. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I heard some demo's of the Sparkle drive.. It seems likes it is what I am really looking for.

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, they are both tube screamers. The bassdrive has some extra tone mods, but is basically a tube screamer.

Getting the taxes back at the border is a pain. I already lost $35CDN this year on a return :(

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I will tell you this, if you want "some" of the Rust Ride sound, get a DOD250. The DOD is actually more versatile as far as number of different tones available are concerned. Cheap, reliable, good on batteries, and very wide range of settings, anywhere from "Is this thing on" to "Geezer". :D

It trumps the Hao in damn every category (price, number of tones, diversity of tone, availability, etc), but I still like the Hao better.

17. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Speaking of Tubescreamers. Analog man does a mode, or a couple really. To the Turbo Tubescreamer. The 808 mod with the Silver mod is supposed to be the shee-ot for bass. Its a pricy baby though well over 200 bones. My guitar playing friend has one and I am very excited to try it out. Will definatley give the 411 once I find out what 411 means.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. I own both.

The DOD is great for everything from mild overdrive to full out balls distortion, but it tends to lose the lows at more extreme settings. The price is very attractive, which is why I bought it. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have an LED.

The Rust Ride is more expensive, but is a better sounding pedal. But it may be too extreme for some people. I thought that it was for me, until I tried mixing the wet signal with the dry signal. Instant SVT cranked to 11, but with tons of bottom, too.:cool:

19. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have (had?) a DOD 250 and I hated it :( I felt that is sucked away the bass. Maybe I should try to resurrect it. The box is currently holding a Mr Smoothie and the pcb was modded to death :scowl:

Note: I never tried the DOD250 in a band situtation. Maybe I should.

I wish I could have got more DOD250s cheap. By the time I paid shipping, taxes, etc they are $90 CDN. They never seem to be for sale here and they make great effects boxes. They use a 5 pin connector so you can make generic pcbs that plug right in. They aren't true bypass but, unlike say a Boss pedal, it is easy to convert them.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I had both till about a week ago. I'll get another DOD one day. But they will have to pry the Hao from my cold, dead hands.