1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss ODB-3 pedal mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Nov 10, 2018.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    What is the most well known mod done to this pedal? Is it to make it less noisy/hissy, or does it somehow change it's tonal charachter?

2. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Is modding pedals regarded as some kind of secret society where those who do aren't allowed to speak of it?? Like a Fight Club or something?

I've asked at least 2 other times prior to making this one, both in seperate threads, where somebody else had brought up the modding of various pedals... one of which was this very Boss pedal (some years ago), I ax'd where does one go or send it to, but got no answers :thumbsdown:

Anyway, my ODB-3 is in the shop (for a slightly bent EQ shaft and a few drops of beer around the main switch), and I asked him if he knew of a mod for it I've heard of. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly (big IF) it reduces noise/hiss as well as possibly affects the tone.

I know we're not supposed to question the Mods here, but can somebody teach me the secret handshake that I can have my guy look into while it's there??

3. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    catcauphonic and zapped777 like this.
  4. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
  5. One problem with Boss is they use Mylar caps lately. That can be a major source of hiss. Ibanez Tone Lok pedals are a similar story.

Monte Allums mods are great. Love his ProCo Rat mods and DS-1 mods.

catcauphonic likes this.