Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss odb-3 settings... wanted!!! help me

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 21, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    Hi
    I can't get a good tone out of my boss overdrive...I usually play with a lot of mids and treble to have a punchy and metallic sound and when I use the pedal It all becomes muddy and undefinite I can't even hear myself playing!!!
    I tried to raise the high eq but it becomes more fuzzy and the guitar player says this sounds sucks.... in fact it doesn't become more definite but simply fuzzy... I don't know how to get a good sound if you have some good setups please tell me... I would like the sound to be big but with a bit of growl...should I use a distortion pedal????

thanks alot

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    What knob setup are you using right now?

3. when i have my odb3 with me ill give your some clanky defined settings but still have distortion without being too fuzzy. maybe tommorow or so.

4. ODB3 = fuzzy, period. if you want less fuzz and more " real " overdrive tone, go for the Digitech X-bass.And basic rule nr.1 with overdrive pedals : onboard EQ = correction only, not colouring.

5. If i wanted some real overdrive tones i wouldnt get something digital

6. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hey sock my current setup on the pedal is (1-10)

level 4

low 9

high 3,5

balance 3

gain 5,5

I can't get a higher level or gain otherwise my dist sound would have too much volume compared yo clean sound

if I put more highs it will be too fuzzy

the balance knob affects the volume.....

7. My suggestion is to roll back the Low to about 4 or 5, that's where the muddiness is coming from. Then up the Balance to 5. The balance is (supposed) to mix the clean signal with the distorted, so the more 'balanced' it is, the more even volume you should have. When you were turning the balance up and there was a volume increase, that was probably because you had the Low cranked to 9.

You should try setting every knob at 12 o'clock (all at 5) and play with the effect both on and off. The volume should stay exactly the same.

ps. If you think that you need to compensate for low end loss when you hit the pedal, turn the balance more to the clean side so your low end can come in. Don't try to up the low end of the distortion, cause it will only make it muddy.

8. yeah put the lows down, try cranking up the balance to 8 or 9 and put the gain at 1 i use this setting sometimes i dunno if you would like it

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    That about sums it up.

I usually have mine set like this:
    bass: 1
    treble: 12
    od: 9-12

but yeah, definatly get rid of those lows... thats why you're so muddy.

IMO, I dont like the tone of the odb-3, but when i pair it with my sansamp BDDI.... oh man.

10. I hardly have a problem with the lows on mine. My settings;

Level; 11 o'clock
    High; 4 o'clock
    Low; 3 o'clock
    Balance, Gain; 9 o'clock

I get a lovely crunchy sound with it.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    The following works for me:

High: 3:00
    Low: 12:00
    Balance 9:00
    Gain: 12:00

Oh, and don't listen to guitar players, they're just worried about being owershadowed.